News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

The same guy helming both Star Trek and Star Wars? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse or something?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Kleves on January 24, 2013, 05:30:18 PM
The same guy helming both Star Trek and Star Wars? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse or something?

Wonder if the anti-monopoly people will get upset?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Kleves on January 24, 2013, 05:30:18 PM

You'd think so.

I think JJ is a better call for Star Wars than Star Trek, IMHO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

I'm more interested to see who he brings in to write it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

J.J. Abrams? Hmm, that might work.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on January 24, 2013, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 23, 2013, 02:09:14 AM

Oh, but one question: [spoiler]OK, I understand why the Mohicans fled and left the white folks to the mercies of the Hurons--their guns were soaked and they would lose the fight and everybody would die, and they had plan, which--while very shitty--was the only one available to them.  But is there any actual reason why Cora, Major Duncan Lastname, and Ms. Not Appearing In This Film couldn't have just jumped into the waterfall too ?  Wouldn't it be better to keep running?  Instead, they surrender to the Hurons and largely experience bad outcomes as a result.  Do they not know how to swim?  Does the waterfall eat white people?  Were they tuckered?  Fuck's sakes.[/spoiler]?
1st, I don't think the 3hrs version exists anywhere.  The total footage for this film may be 3hrs, but it was never properly edited/mixed.

As to your question, well, duh, it's simple.
The girls are wearing dresses.  Trying to swim in that is asking to die.  The dress will get very heavy, very quickly and they will be sucked down the whirlpool.  The time it takes for them to remove the dress, the underdress, etc, Magua is there an he has slaughtered everyone.

Duncan presumably is not a good swimmer.  He's an infantry officer and he's a city boy.

And then you have very good swimmers raised in the wilderness who struggle to get ashore and need to help one another.  Try this with 6 people, you'll likely to get at least 1 or 2 drowned.

The choices are: 90% porpbably of death by drowning or take your chances with the Hurons who will bring you to their closest village.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't at least selectively modify the dresses earlier.  I noticed how the skirts are actually too long to walk in.

Fair enough.  I forgot people used to wear really ungainly clothes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Saw Lincoln yesterday, that movie had absolutely fantastic acting from the whole cast.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 24, 2013, 10:15:47 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't at least selectively modify the dresses earlier.  I noticed how the skirts are actually too long to walk in.

[spoiler]Why did you spoiler tag info on a movie that is over 20 years old?[/spoiler]
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2013, 02:48:14 PM
It means a movie to watch while ironing clothes.
I thought of that, but figured it was too obvious, duh!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Well, you have to figure that since the beginning, they were on the run from the Hurons.  They lost all their travel packs, so they have no spare wardrobe.  You can see them struggling to climb up the river on their way to Fort William Henry, and later on the cliffs, Alice has trouble keeping up with the Hurons warrior towing her :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2013, 12:06:55 PM

[spoiler]Why did you spoiler tag info on a movie that is over 20 years old?[/spoiler]

I dunno.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

I'm a bit behind the times, like I need a half dozen  classic film recommendations for every year of the last 20 years or so.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Pulp Fiction
Sin City
Inception
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Dark Knight
Schindler's List
American Beauty
Terminator 2
The Hurt Locker
The Usual Suspects
The Artist
Up in the Air
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
21 Grams
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Cabin in the Woods

for starters
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?