News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Beeb as a nice little 3 part series about our prehistoric ancestors, called 'Prehistoric Autopsy', not dumbed down and includes lots of American experts explaining real science, take that N.A. creationists !

They reconstruct a Neanderthal, a Homo Erectus and all the way back to 'Lucy' from 3.4million years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00xfdmt

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Stopped watching World Without End after about episode 3. Boring.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

The Learning Channel has really gone to shit hasn't it? Worse, in its way, than the HIstory Channel.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2012, 09:38:26 PM
Beeb as a nice little 3 part series about our prehistoric ancestors, called 'Prehistoric Autopsy', not dumbed down and includes lots of American experts explaining real science, take that N.A. creationists !

They reconstruct a Neanderthal, a Homo Erectus and all the way back to 'Lucy' from 3.4million years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00xfdmt

The evil-lutionist's agenda to destroy society by corrupting morals can clearly be seen in the name they give their imaginary creations - calling our supposed ancestor a "homo erectus". 

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I'm not property of the queen thus I can't watch it. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 09:25:05 AM
I am a Queen's subject, even though I don't call myself much subject at all, but still, can't watch it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Needs more John Milius.  :mad:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=770537

QuoteArnold to star as Conan the Barbarian again
Oct. 25, 2012, 5:54 PM EST
Entertainment Tonight

Arnold Schwarzenegger will once again play Conan the Barbarian on the big screen. Yes, you heard that correctly.

Thirty years after he made an impact as Robert E. Howard's mythic Cimmerian character, the 65-year-old star will return to his seminal film role in "The Legend of Conan."

"I always loved the Conan character and I'm honored to be asked to step into the role once again," Arnold tells Deadline. "I can't wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story."

Malmberg provides insight into the new movie, saying, "The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make. It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."

Meanwhile, Morgan calls the new movie "Conan's Unforgiven," saying, "This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn't touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film."

Arnold starred in a total of two Conan movies -- 1982's "Conan the Barbarian" and in 1984's "Conan the Destroyer" -- and the character was picked up for a third big-screen outing in 2011 with Jason Momoa as the title character -- with less-than-stellar box-office results.

"I think I was kind of meant for playing Conan, you know?" Arnold told ET back in the early '80s. "I think that I felt very comfortable playing that character, playing that barbaric role, doing all the sword fighting, and it was a very physical film. This is the great thing about doing films. First of all, you learn new things -- sword-fighting or horseback riding and all those things -- and at the same time you play like a little child, you can play like cowboy and Indian type of things, you know, looking for the enemy and crushing them and knocking them down."

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 25, 2012, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 09:25:05 AM
I am a Queen's subject, even though I don't call myself much subject at all, but still, can't watch it.

Maybe they found out how republican you are in temperament.  The eyes of the crown are everywhere. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote"Conan's Unforgiven."

Yah, und I'm heah to keel you, Leetle Beel.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2012, 09:47:24 AM
My mother is in town at the moment to visit her grandkids, so my wife and I took the opportunity to see an actual movie in an actual movie theatre. :o

Search reveals no mention of Seven Psycopaths on Languish.  Odd, as I'd think it would be right up the Languish alley.  The whole "movie about making a movie called Seven Psycopaths" was a bit pretentious, but surprisingly they really managed to mostly pull it off.  Highly recommended.  Written and directed by the guy who did In Bruges, and it certainly contains the same mix of quirky humour, witty dialogue, and heavy violence.

Seriously, see this movie.  Maybe the best I've seen in several years.

I actually meant to mention Seven Psychopaths, but got sidetracked by some monster who hates Stanley Kubrick. :P  Tiresome?  FU.  I ain't got time to write a thesis about the mise en scene of the climax of The Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.  Yet.

Seven Psychopaths a film with its head stuck way, way up its own ass, but removes it often to tell a funny joke often enough that it is thoroughly enjoyable.  I think my appreciation of its metafictional elements would be stronger if I didn't read comics and hence became familiar with this kind of shallow genre deconstruction back around the time Grant Morrison wrote Animal Man, i.e. 198x.  Nevertheless, the actors carry the humor almost flawlessly, even if I haven't forgiven Colin Farrell for the worst time I've had at the movies in years; and it is the definitive Christopher Walken performance.  Woody Harrelson is good as to be expected, but maybe it's just because I saw it with my girlfriend, so that the sudden, unexplained racism occasioned an unavoidable frisson of awkwardness, but I think even if I'd been sitting around the house watching it by myself that part would've felt out of place--well, it's no "dead nigger storage."  Film's a solid B+.

Also briefly in movies that recently came out, I meant to recommend Sinister, another B+.  I guess there are some parts that beggar one's belief in Ethan Hawke's character's non-stupidity, but I'm a sucker for haunted house movies, and if you are, you should love it as I did.  N.B.: the super 8 scenes add an extra-disturbing element to the usual litany of jump scares and more conventional weird shit.

Also also, I just came back from the Rifftrax Live of Birdemic: Shock and Terror.  Man, that movie stinks.  Good show, but not as good as Manos last month.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I started a script writing class a month ago and last night my teacher called out because he was stuck on set. I'm unclear whether or not I should view that as a good thing. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 25, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
Needs more John Milius.  :mad:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=770537

QuoteArnold to star as Conan the Barbarian again
Oct. 25, 2012, 5:54 PM EST
Entertainment Tonight

Arnold Schwarzenegger will once again play Conan the Barbarian on the big screen. Yes, you heard that correctly.

Thirty years after he made an impact as Robert E. Howard's mythic Cimmerian character, the 65-year-old star will return to his seminal film role in "The Legend of Conan."

"I always loved the Conan character and I'm honored to be asked to step into the role once again," Arnold tells Deadline. "I can't wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story."

Malmberg provides insight into the new movie, saying, "The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make. It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."

Meanwhile, Morgan calls the new movie "Conan's Unforgiven," saying, "This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn't touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film."

Arnold starred in a total of two Conan movies -- 1982's "Conan the Barbarian" and in 1984's "Conan the Destroyer" -- and the character was picked up for a third big-screen outing in 2011 with Jason Momoa as the title character -- with less-than-stellar box-office results.

"I think I was kind of meant for playing Conan, you know?" Arnold told ET back in the early '80s. "I think that I felt very comfortable playing that character, playing that barbaric role, doing all the sword fighting, and it was a very physical film. This is the great thing about doing films. First of all, you learn new things -- sword-fighting or horseback riding and all those things -- and at the same time you play like a little child, you can play like cowboy and Indian type of things, you know, looking for the enemy and crushing them and knocking them down."

Paradox movie? Map sucks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on October 25, 2012, 10:31:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2012, 09:47:24 AM
My mother is in town at the moment to visit her grandkids, so my wife and I took the opportunity to see an actual movie in an actual movie theatre. :o

Search reveals no mention of Seven Psycopaths on Languish.  Odd, as I'd think it would be right up the Languish alley.  The whole "movie about making a movie called Seven Psycopaths" was a bit pretentious, but surprisingly they really managed to mostly pull it off.  Highly recommended.  Written and directed by the guy who did In Bruges, and it certainly contains the same mix of quirky humour, witty dialogue, and heavy violence.

Seriously, see this movie.  Maybe the best I've seen in several years.

I actually meant to mention Seven Psychopaths, but got sidetracked by some monster who hates Stanley Kubrick. :P  Tiresome?  FU.  I ain't got time to write a thesis about the mise en scene of the climax of The Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.  Yet.

Seven Psychopaths a film with its head stuck way, way up its own ass, but removes it often to tell a funny joke often enough that it is thoroughly enjoyable.  I think my appreciation of its metafictional elements would be stronger if I didn't read comics and hence became familiar with this kind of shallow genre deconstruction back around the time Grant Morrison wrote Animal Man, i.e. 198x.  Nevertheless, the actors carry the humor almost flawlessly, even if I haven't forgiven Colin Farrell for the worst time I've had at the movies in years; and it is the definitive Christopher Walken performance.  Woody Harrelson is good as to be expected, but maybe it's just because I saw it with my girlfriend, so that the sudden, unexplained racism occasioned an unavoidable frisson of awkwardness, but I think even if I'd been sitting around the house watching it by myself that part would've felt out of place--well, it's no "dead nigger storage."  Film's a solid B+.

B+?  You've crazy Hunter.

Walken was amazing.  The way he pulled off the line "Do you want a drink?  No thanks, I do peyote" was brilliant.  The fourth wall breaking was kind of annoying, but it mostly worked out so I accepted it "Walken: I've read your script - the way you deal with female characters is terrible!".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Octavian

I've decided to join the Danish Netflix. I like the idea and it allows me to at least pay some money to the movie and television industry instead of always Tamasify it.

I'll celebrate it by watching Anchorman again.

They also have a large section with kids stuff dubbed in Danish.

2 1/2 year old occupied by the telly = not bothering dad.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee