News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The Band Wagon (Vincente Minelli, 1953)

This is considered the second great 1950s MGM musical after "Singin' in the Rain." It certainly follows the formula. Fred Astaire is a down-and-out actor who, with a group of old colleagues, is staging a musical to revive his career. He has to contend with a pretentious director (Jack Buchanan), and falls in love with his dancing partner (Cyd Charisse), who is the choreographer's girlfriend. It has a great romantic number in the middle ("Dancing in the Dark"), one about the beauty of show business (the iconic "That's Entertainment"), and a grand extravaganza ("Girl Hunt Ballet") for a finale. MGM's musicals surely loved meta, and this one even features a brief Ava Gardner cameo playing herself.

The comedy plot is above average for a musical, with some genuinely funny moments every time Buchanan is around - he steals every scene he's in. The love triangle is meh. Neither Cyd Charisse nor Fred Astaire were were good enough actors to carry these scenes on their own, and they always needed a strong partner to elevate that side of their films (Ginger Rogers is very underrated as an actress).

But the musical numbers are all absolutely wonderful, probably the best collection of music and dance in an MGM movie. "That's Entertainment" is on the shortlist of songs I want played at my funeral. "Triplets" is a marvel of bizarre burlesque, "Dancing in the Dark" is a delightful romantic ballet (and no one danced those like Astaire). And "Girl Hunt Ballet" is also wonderful, a homage to hardboiled noir with Charisse playing both the femme fatale and the damsel in distress, each with their own distinct dance movies and body language. Astaire always said that Charisse was his favorite dance partner, and it's easy to see why. It's a pity they only teamed up in two movies (I have Silk Stockings in my shortlist).

Syt

Finished Disenchantment. Really came to enjoy it, though it's obviously not on par with classic Simpsons and classic Futurama. Sure, the plot has way too many convenient coincidences/deus ex machina moments, but it was still a fun ride.

Though the Steamland bits made me want to install Bioshock: Infinite again. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

So....seems like Rogers, my cable company (yes I am an old fart and subscribe to cable) is offering free DisneyTV+ (ad tier) with my subscription.

So which Star Wars series do I watch first?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2024, 01:07:45 PMSo....seems like Rogers, my cable company (yes I am an old fart and subscribe to cable) is offering free DisneyTV+ (ad tier) with my subscription.

The 1980s Ewok cartoon series
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2024, 01:07:45 PMSo....seems like Rogers, my cable company (yes I am an old fart and subscribe to cable) is offering free DisneyTV+ (ad tier) with my subscription.

Obi wan is OK.
Mandalorian 1+2 are good
Andor is great.

Depends how you want to ration it out.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Finished Fast X.

This was confusing toward the end.   I really thought I was watching a remake of Top Secret!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

First two series of Mandalorian.

Clone Wars is very good if you haven't seen it, but long.

I personally highly recommend the Bad Batch after Clone Wars.

Book of Bobe Fett didn't really grab me, and heard pretty mixed reviews of The Acolyte.  I've never given Andor a try, curiously enough.  I didn't like Rogue One as much as some, but still thought it was a solid movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Thanks. I've seen most of Clone Wars, so I'll skip that. Gonna start Andor then Mandalorian.  I've seen all the movies except Solo
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2024, 06:35:20 PMThanks. I've seen most of Clone Wars, so I'll skip that. Gonna start Andor then Mandalorian.  I've seen all the movies except Solo

Solo is worth a watch.

I'll repeat the Bad Batch.  It's a "kids show" but not a little kids show and I thought highly entertaining - and reasonably dark at times.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Jesus Fucking Christ, Disney+, do you have to show me THIS as the first thing when going to your website???

:ph34r:  :x

(It's for the season finale of American Horror Story)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2024, 06:35:20 PMThanks. I've seen most of Clone Wars, so I'll skip that. Gonna start Andor then Mandalorian.  I've seen all the movies except Solo

Surprisingly even to myself, I'll say I'd start with the first two seasons of the Mandalorian. Andor is most excellent but it is an experiment to use the Star Wars world for something not that Star Wars-y. The Mandalorian is lighter entertainment.

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 03:47:16 AM

Surprisingly even to myself, I'll say I'd start with the first two seasons of the Mandalorian. Andor is most excellent but it is an experiment to use the Star Wars world for something not that Star Wars-y. The Mandalorian is lighter entertainment.

Yeah, three episodes into Andor, I find there's nothing particularly Star Wars-y; and could be set anywhere. Will finish it though.
Civis Romanus Sum

Sheilbh

Reading a lengthy (and interesting) piece in the Guardian on video game acting - sat in a booth for 40 hours going through it.

And all I can think is "yes I can hear you Clem Fandango" :blush: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!