News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

'The First Man' - OK, somewhat worthy picture with an fine OK performance from thingy in the lead role.

Worth watching for the 1st scene alone, and it's possible the best in the whole film. Avoid if you don't like depressing films.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on December 19, 2020, 03:57:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2020, 03:25:46 PM
Brooklyn 99 season 7.

Holt: I'm off to walk my beat again, much like Sisyphus, condemned to push the same boulder up the same hill day in and day out.
Terry: You know, according to French philosopher Albert Camus, Sisyphus achieved happiness in that absurd repetition.
Holt: Any French philosophy post-Rousseau is essentially a magazine.

:lol:

:D

Can't wait for season 7 to become available here.

The difference in actor age is stark. Took me 2-3 episodes to get over it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

'El Chapo' on netflix, I'm enjoying it, but shouldn't really be rooting for the 'good' baddie.  :blush:

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2020, 08:13:15 PM
The difference in actor age is stark. Took me 2-3 episodes to get over it.

I didn't notice. :unsure:

(Except that actress Melissa Fumero - Amy - is pregnant and they do a pretty mediocre job of hiding it.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Well, they lampshaded the obvious pregnancy a few episodes later. :lol:

Anyways, I'm finished for now. I rewatched the first two episodes to see how much the show changed since the start, and surprisingly: not much. It maintains the energy and the characters (mostly), so watching the older episodes didn't feel "off", even if newer episodes are generally crazier and more self-referential. I guess you could say that Holt loosens up over the run of the show, but I feel he's just dropping the facade/his guard more often, esp. once his hot buttons are pushed.

I appreciate that the series more often than not has three plots going at the same time; significantly better than stretching the A and B plots to fit the run time and losing momentum. It also managed to not become less interesting after "the couple" got together, something you see in other shows (e.g. The Office, Frasier).

I didn't dislike any characters, really, and I don't get the Gina Linetti hate; I actually missed her after she left.

I don't watch as many shows as I used to, but this year has been quite "productive". I watched all of QI, then Peep Show, then Schitt's Creek, Community, and now Brooklyn 99 - all excellent shows. :)

I have The Good Place lined up next.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The Man with the Iron Heart. Heydrich gets kicked out of the navy and chooses a path that makes people just want to kill him. I liked it, some parts are very good. This year I've seen sex scenes with both Goebbels and Heydrich (not the same scenes), which strikes me as unusual.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

The People v. O.J. Simpson.

It's not very interesting, I already know how everything turns out, the dialogue is pretty flat, but I keep watching anyways.

I do get a kick out of Robert Shapiro being made to look like a bozo.

Eddie Teach

Was that the one with Cuba Gooding?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

yup

Bad casting on that one.

celedhring

I was interested - if anything because I was a kid when it all happened and I didn't have much of a memory of the actual events. But it wasn't he best casting, Travolta hammed it up too.

The followup Versace murder series is great, though.

Sheilbh

I thought it was great - but I'm not American and I'm not old enough to remember the real case. I was vaguely aware it was happening.

I agree it felt that Cuba Gooding Jr was miscast. But I really liked Travolta which was maybe hammy but I think showed a surprising lack of self-consciousness for an older actor like him (a bit like Douglas in Behind the Candelabra) - and I don't know if it's necessarily hammy or (also a bit like Douglas) playing a character who is playing a version of themselves/all performance. I also thought the scene where he's just driving listening to smooth jazz is one of the best bits of "show don't tell" character work I've seen in ages.

Also big fan of Sarah Paulson in it.

I liked the Versace series a lot too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I loved American crime story. Eagerly awaiting s3.
Didnt think Cuba did a bad job at all.

X men dark phoenix.
Yep. I see why this one appeared and disappeared without a trace. Though somehow made its money back?
The villains are just totally unexplained.
Sad.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I want to watch the OJ series - I remember the whole story well, from watching the white Bronco on tv to the verdict.  But I'll be damned if I can figure out where it might be on.

Streaming rights in Canada can be such a mess.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

This is great for the UK, not sure how reliable in Canada. But Just Watch is your friend:
https://www.justwatch.com/ca
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

'The Death Of Stalin' - Superb on so many levels. especially liked Michael Palin's turn as Molotov and the northern hardman Zhukov.

Didn't catch who was playing Stalin, it wasn't Bob Mortimer??