News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Shape of Water. Been meaning to watch it; heard great things. Found it really was a cross between King Kong and Beauty and the Beast--but well done, with great acting and direction. And having a woman masturbate in the first minute was a bonus.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Yeah, the film doesn't really break new ground besides ickyness, but it's just so well shot and acted. Great craftmanship from everyone involved.

My only issue is that the sex scene came a bit from nowhere. I understand that Del Toro wanted to de-sacralize sex in this, but she's still fucking a fish, thought it needed a bit more preparation before getting into the tub.

KRonn

Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2018, 05:21:58 AM
Has anyone here watched the beginning of Mayans MC, the spinoff to Sons of Anarchy that has just debuted on TV these days?

I recorded that first episode but haven't yet seen it. You remind me that I need to check that out. 

viper37

Mayans MC and the Rookie are the only new show this fall that intrigues me.  The Rookie only because it has Nathan Fillion starring in it and likely promise to be fun.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

The crew of Star Trek: Enterprise, dressed as Rocky Horror Picture Show characters.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

That was one of my favorite leaps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

My personal head cannon is that all the seasons of Enterprise are an extended Quantum Leap episode.

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on September 10, 2018, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2018, 05:21:58 AM
Has anyone here watched the beginning of Mayans MC, the spinoff to Sons of Anarchy that has just debuted on TV these days?

I recorded that first episode but haven't yet seen it. You remind me that I need to check that out.

I ended up watching it last night. It is well done and all, but it doesn't seem as "catchy" as Sons, and the characters seem to lack some charisma. There are a couple of cameos from SoA characters to wink at the fans and make a nice base of it all happening in the same universe. The plot seems apparently straightforward but in the last act of the episode (which clocks at more than one hour!) there are a couple of swerves that make it maybe a bit too "busy" for the beginning of a show, I'd have preferred it if it was simpler/tighter.

2nd episode is tonight, let's see how it goes.

Liep

The new Jurassic Park is Transformers level bad.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on September 11, 2018, 01:26:15 PM
The new Jurassic Park is Transformers level bad.

Yeah, it really was not good.  My kids loved it though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Haven't seen it yet. I know the director and he's a great guy, so when I saw the bad reviews I sorta put it off  :lol:

Syt

Better Call Saul this week - bit of a weak episode, IMHO. The German guys ... the architect is a German actor and his German bits feel very natural (he's from Kiel, apparently), but the German by the workers sounded almost like voice actors. It was not natural dialogue. :D

The flashback at the start was likely Feb/Mar 1993, because that's the only year both Al Pacino and Emma Thompson were nominated for an Oscar. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

I'm a bit confused with the whole GErman guys thing. I know they're building a tunnel, but I thought they could only work at night because workers are using the building during the day---but how do they get away with their living situation?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I'm guessing it's a separate building that nobody's using otherwise? Now, why they don't build the lab right there, under the big empty hall nobody's looking into - no idea. Unless it's a temporary thing they plan to dismantle afterwards.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

When they started the "building the drug lab" plot line, I kinda thought it would be a mistake to go down that rabbit hole of trying to explain it...as could easily be a multiple dues ex machina trap.  But I presume the writers/producer know what they're doing.