News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2018, 09:05:07 PM
Disenchanted on Netflix - anyone seen it yet?  I'm definitely going to watch (despite mixed reviews), but curious if it would be appropriate to watch with my kids of not - it's rated PG-14.

I'm up to episode 4 now. The plots are pretty standard fare, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I liked episodes 3 and 4 a lot better than the first two, FWIW.

The series has some gruesome imagery (pigs eating a corpse, dismemberment) and adult themes (drugs, swinger orgies). Not sure how much of that would fly over kids' heads or lead to awkward questions. 14+ seems about right.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2018, 11:27:49 PM
Disenchanted on Netflix - anyone seen it yet?  I'm definitely going to watch (despite mixed reviews), but curious if it would be appropriate to watch with my kids of not - it's rated PG-14.

I'm up to episode 4 now. The plots are pretty standard fare, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I liked episodes 3 and 4 a lot better than the first two, FWIW.

The series has some gruesome imagery (pigs eating a corpse, dismemberment) and adult themes (drugs, swinger orgies). Not sure how much of that would fly over kids' heads or lead to awkward questions. 14+ seems about right.

Just finished first 2 episodes.

I'm hoping I like 3 & 4 a lot more, because 1 and 2 didn't have many laughs.  A lot of it was "yeah, I can see what they were going for, and it sounds funny, but I'm not laughing" kind of stuff.  But Matt Groening and Co have certainly earned me a chance at a few more episodes.

And yeah, not watching this with my kids.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

The show feels a bit slow paced, esp. if you compare it to something like Rick and Morty. It's also weird to have a cartoon show with episodes longer than 22 minutes. ;) The episode main stories are overall your standard comedy tropes so far, and I wish they added a few more twists, but then again it's a first season where the characters are new and require establishing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

The first episode did not amuse me.
Half the fun was in the Simpsons/Futurama cameos.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2018, 05:26:50 AM

The first episode did not amuse me.
Half the fun was in the Simpsons/Futurama cameos.

I agree with you and Tonitrus, the first episode was boring. 

The Brain

The Temple. Three Americans travel to Japan to look at shrines and temples but will regret finding... The Temple. Some decent stuff in there, for instance good treatment of the languages Japanese and English regarding who speaks what, and the relationship between the three main characters has some flesh. I'm a sucker for Japan so Japanese scenery is nice. Clocks in at a nice 78 mins. Main problem is that they don't really tie the spooky stuff together well enough, and the movie is ultimately unfulfilling. Note: [spoiler]There is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

The Rezort. After the War of Zombie Aggression was won a luxury resort was established on an isolated island, where rich people can hunt zombies for sport. An elaborate high-tech security system makes sure it's safe. But what happens if the dinosaurs somehow manage to get loose? OK zombie movie, like most it deals with a contemporary issue, in this case [spoiler]the refugee crisis[/spoiler]. Notes: the chick is hot. [spoiler]Ther is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Finally got around to watching The Last Jedi on Netflix.

Snooze.

Also bing watching Rick & Morty (never really sat down and watched it before, just saw outtakes).

Is very witty, and could be/have been a very good show...but relies way too much on gross-out humor and over-the-top (and also gross-out) violence, both of which detract from the very good wit and humor the show occasionally excels at.

Barrister

More Disenchantment.  Up to episode 5.

I mean - it's okay, I have a few chuckles now and then.  But it just feels so... derivative.  Lets just take all the elements of Futurama, and stir them around a bit.  Main character is a girl, not a boy.  It's set in the past, not the future.  Wide-eyed naif is the side-kick, not the main character.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2018, 11:40:50 PM
More Disenchantment.  Up to episode 5.

I mean - it's okay, I have a few chuckles now and then.  But it just feels so... derivative.  Lets just take all the elements of Futurama, and stir them around a bit.  Main character is a girl, not a boy.  It's set in the past, not the future.  Wide-eyed naif is the side-kick, not the main character.
:( I was looking forward to this, too.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

I wouldn't give up on it. Futurama needed time before it found its stride too.

crazy canuck

Turned the second episode off half way through realizing there were much better things to do.

This is no Futurama, even at Futurama's start.  This is.. I am not sure what this is but it isn't worth watching.   Maybe season 2 if they get some new writers.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2018, 05:10:28 AM

I don't know, I thought the first few episodes of Futurama were good. I mean yes the series got better but there was plenty there that was entertaining.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2018, 10:25:09 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2018, 05:10:28 AM

I don't know, I thought the first few episodes of Futurama were good. I mean yes the series got better but there was plenty there that was entertaining.

Agreed

Admiral Yi

The Boy Downstairs.  Mousy young girl moves into apartment, not knowing that her plain ex-boyfriend lives downstairs.  Nothing interesting happens.

I don't know how this movie got made.  Maybe if the girl were hott, and if the dialogue was smart and funny, but this movie has nothing.