Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Scipio on July 10, 2017, 07:17:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2017, 06:26:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2017, 04:00:53 PM
When you're arguing Spiderman 2 as theological metaphor, you've officially gone off the rails, man.  Talk about hang ups with religion.
a lady is praying god.  then a demon appears (Goblin) and she's saved by SPiderman (God's angel).
THE GOBLIN IS NOT IN FUCKING SPIDER-MAN 2!
then it's Spidey 1.  Or 3.  I said one of the old Spidey.  I don't really keep track of every bad movies ever released.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2017, 07:21:22 AM
All the playing God (jouer à l'apprenti-sorcier?)
see, that is a proper, religiously neutral expression :)
Long live French!

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Beastmaster.

I had fond memories of this movie.  Only saw it once in my youth.  Rewatching it as an adult, it must have been the titties that made a lasting impression on me.  Yet, strangely, that's about the only part I didn't really remember from my first watch :P

Say, Duque, are #2 and #3 even worst?

celedhring

Religious allegories and metaphors are overused in superhero movies so I don't think Viper is really shooting from the hip here. We're talking dudes with powers that put them above humanity, it's easy to see them as divine figures, and to apply religious themes to them as a result.

The whole character arc of the 3 Raimi films is Spidey choosing between self-interest and self-sacrifice to save others, it's a reflection on the figure of the redemptor. The idea of becoming an inspirational figure through self-sacrifice is one of the main themes of Spidey-2, heck, the whole part where he loses his powers and rejects his duty - thus becoming non-divine - is his own Getsemaneh.

It's not paranoia, we're a Judeo-Christian culture after all, and it shows in our cultural products.

Also, religious themes is a cheap way to make your story look "deep".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2017, 07:47:18 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2017, 07:21:22 AM
I think now is the time for Viper to watch Zardoz.
All the playing God (jouer à l'apprenti-sorcier?) is much original and comical than Hollywood ever did, obvious reference to a Hollywood classic notwithstanding. :D

PS: Just watch the first 5-10 minutes in French, there is a line which sounds much better in French.  :P

Le pénis est mauvais?  :hmm:

Almost, the meaning is there but not the pun:

L'arme c'est le bien, le pénis c'est le mal (very close if not identical nowadays in some dialects to mâle = male).  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2017, 01:12:36 PM
The Beastmaster.

I had fond memories of this movie.  Only saw it once in my youth.  Rewatching it as an adult, it must have been the titties that made a lasting impression on me.  Yet, strangely, that's about the only part I didn't really remember from my first watch :P

Say, Duque, are #2 and #3 even worst?

I actually like the First Beastmaster, good Heroic Fantasy B-movie IMO, far from Conan the Barbarian of course. But then Tanya Roberts' boobs.  :mmm:
The Beastmaster 2 alias Dar l'Invincible 2 in French, takes places in "our time", early '90s LA (yikes!) is really worse. I haven't seen the third.
http://www.nanarland.com/Chroniques/chronique-dar-dar-l-invincible-2.html
Dated from 1996, Marc Singer might have been too old to be convincing for the part.  :P And yes, Beastmaster 3: the Eye of Braxus  is infamous and was made for TV AFAIK, gage de qualité s'il en est j/k.

PS: added review to support Beastmaster's status as so-bad-it's-good

viper37

ouin,m'en va laisser tomber je crois :P

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2017, 06:28:41 PM
Man, there is something wrong with you.
of course:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.

Eddie Teach

At least you recognize that you're a fool; there's a start.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Spiderman: Homecoming (2017)

If John Hughes had directed a superhero movie, this would have been it.

While nothing you haven't seen before, this movie is a lot of fun.  I thought the Captain America PSAs and the [spoiler]love interest's father being a supervillain[/spoiler] were clever.  I thought they wasted an opportunity by making Tony Stark just a conventional mentor, rather than a bad role model (something that would be relevant in the age of Trump) or a misguided mentor.  Flash Thompson being a spoiled rich kid, rather than a jock was just wrong (you're on the Academic Decathlon Team and they call you "Flash"? :huh:)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 11, 2017, 07:59:05 PM
At least you recognize that you're a fool; there's a start.  :)
of course I am a fool, I'm a non believer, duh. :)

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2017, 01:36:56 PM
It's not paranoia, we're a Judeo-Christian culture after all, and it shows in our cultural products.

Ok now that is moving the goal posts because that was exactly the point I was making.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Liep

Colbert's expression when Andy Serkis reads Donald Trump's tweet in the voice of Gollum is amazing. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mWOoj68qo
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Watched the first episode of Black Sails. Meh. I'll see if I watch some more. [spoiler]Why is Flint depicted as a clueless pussy? "My crew, who don't fear me at all, is revolting?" He should be this really intimidating character, and he's already an experienced captain so if they "grow him into it" it doesn't make much sense. Gomer Pyle was born again hard in Full Metal Jacket but he wasn't a veteran soldier (STFU "marine" fags) from the beginning. And I realize that they need a whore scene in the episode, but why the fuck would the pirates splash out on a whole pack of whores for a n00b who hasn't done anything for them yet? There are so many better ways to write a whore scene into a pirate show.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.