News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 16, 2016, 04:51:29 AM
A couple of new time-travel-ish shows...

"Frequency":  Mmmm, not sure how I feel about it yet (though lots of skepticism).  Will give it some more time.

I've been watching this also, so far it's ok. I'll see how it goes.

I'm hearing good things about Westworld. I haven't seen it yet, 3rd episode was last night on HBO. I'll try to catch up on the show's first episodes, see how I like it.

Martinus

Westworld is very good. As with Battlestar Galactica, we are the villains of the story.

Liep

I'm not sure I know what's going on at all in Westworld, but I'm very much enjoying it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

And I'm left with a lot of questions about how stuff work in the park, so you can't shoot guests, but a gun leaves a visible mark. What if a guest is shot in the eye? And what if a guest on a rampage mistakes another guest for a host and kills him with an axe? Or are sharp weapons also different?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Hamilcar

To understand Westworld, google Julian Jaynes and bicameralism.

Scipio

Criterion Collection 50% of SRP sale, one day only, with code DOLLS.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

celedhring

Westworld pisses me off, it's really good and it steps on the same themes I was writing about in a project I'm pitching to some guys in LA.

I guess I'll retool the story to downplay the IA angles.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2016, 01:58:57 PM
Westworld pisses me off, it's really good and it steps on the same themes I was writing about in a project I'm pitching to some guys in LA.

IA IA CTHULU PFTANG? :cthulu:

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2016, 02:19:57 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2016, 01:58:57 PM

IA IA CTHULHY PFTANG? :cthulhu:

Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

celedhring

Yeah, the Old God of artificial beings.

(I've got chubby fingers, what can I say!)

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2016, 11:31:33 AM
And I'm left with a lot of questions about how stuff work in the park, so you can't shoot guests, but a gun leaves a visible mark. What if a guest is shot in the eye? And what if a guest on a rampage mistakes another guest for a host and kills him with an axe? Or are sharp weapons also different?

Yeah. Trouble with shows like this is they ask a lot of questions...best to suspend belief. But they implied yesterday that if the host runaway threw that rock on the girl she likely would have died? I think we will see human deaths soon.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Yeah. My understanding is that it's more like paintball only that hosts "bleed" and "die" on impact.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2016, 02:22:36 PM
Yeah, the Old God of artificial beings.

(I've got chubby fingers, what can I say!)

Maybe just pitch something that's Cthulhu Mythos that's actually good?  Please?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Watched "High Maintenance" on HBO after Westworld.  It's Girls, but with fashionista trustifarians.