News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2016, 11:00:17 AM
I dunno, man...I was flipping channels not too long ago, and saw the cartoom series.  Fuck that.  Looked like Muppet Babies, only with more slapstick.

Which series?  Clone Wars, or Rebels?

Actually I think both are pretty decent - but they are unapologetically kids shows.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

There's also a Lego Star Wars series.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2016, 11:06:28 AM
I dunno, man...I was flipping channels not too long ago, and saw the cartoom series.  Fuck that.  Looked like Muppet Babies, only with more slapstick.

Actually I think both are pretty decent - but they are unapologetically kids shows.

My kid can't stand Rebels. He turns the channel when it comes on.

I think it is due to two things: (1) the animation is deep into "Uncanny Valley" territory; and (2) there is no dramatic tension; the good guys are always unbeatable.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I like Rebels; it has found its footing now. The first season was silly till the Inquisitor and Tarkin showed up. The second had its moments, and the series injects some much needed mysticism back into the Force which I appreciate (Clone Wars was very lean on that). And the latest episode teased a possible final confrontation between Darth Maul (don't ask if you think he died in Ep. I :P ) and Obi-Wan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2016, 11:12:18 AM
I think it is due to two things: (1) the animation is deep into "Uncanny Valley" territory; and (2) there is no dramatic tension; the good guys are always unbeatable.

Yeah my kid had zero interest as well. I think for these exact reasons. You have to make the bad guys cool in Star Wars for it to work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I think Rebels (and the later Clone Wars) are more geared towards older kids who can follow/understand a multi-episode story arc and the character development that happens throughout the shows.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

You know one thing I hate? Having Obi Wan being involved in these series. Way to keep a low profile while you're supposed to be a mad hermit in Tatooine, watching the sole hope of the Force.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
I think Rebels (and the later Clone Wars) are more geared towards older kids who can follow/understand a multi-episode story arc and the character development that happens throughout the shows.

I don't think that is it. My kid loved Gravity Falls, which had a multi-episode story arc with tons of character development.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2016, 11:45:19 AM
You know one thing I hate? Having Obi Wan being involved in these series. Way to keep a low profile while you're supposed to be a mad hermit in Tatooine, watching the sole hope of the Force.

Well, we'll see how Rebels involves him, if at all. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a lonely duel out in the dunes of Tatooine that no one ever knows about.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

CD was too old to appreciate Muppet Babies properly. :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Damn they really need to bury the UK version of 'The Apprentice', the sole criteria for selecting candidate is just how bad can they screw up any tasks. 

The 2nd person fired, who went today, admitted she'd never seen the program (or knew what it entailed) and was just sent straight to the 'auditions' .

The only remaining worth left in watching, is to see just how bad/naff these people can be; so I guess quite a bit like the Trump campaign, then.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2016, 11:06:28 AM

You need to read your post again, and think for a very long time what exactly is wrong with it any why.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 13, 2016, 03:53:07 PM
CD was too old to appreciate Muppet Babies properly. :P

It was opposite the Smurfs, man.

Admiral Yi

Watching The Luzhin Defense.  John Turturo (the Daniel Day Lewis of America) plays assbergtistic chess champion for whom Emily Watson develops a serious boner in 1929 Lake Como.  Grand Budapest Hotel meets The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  Good so for.

Martinus

Really liking the Westworld.

By the way, are they channeling a bit of King's Dark Tower/Gunslinger there? I mean, the slow-played "Paint it Black" seemed like a tribute of sorts.