News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watching Steve Jobs.  I figured it would be some white bread Hallmark biopic, but some of the dialogue in this mother really fucking crackles.

katmai

It is a Sorkin written film isn't it?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Just back from Magnificent Seven. I enjoyed it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on October 03, 2016, 01:03:39 AM
It is a Sorkin written film isn't it?

Fuck if I know.

"That thing looks like Judy Jetson's Easy Bake Oven." :pinch:

KRonn

I saw Money Monster. It was ok, not real good. I also have The Wolf of Wall Street recorded and have been watching that a bit at a time - kind of laboring through it. It's pretty entertaining in parts but also not all that great.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2016, 02:39:57 AM
Started watching Luke Cage on Netflix. So far so good. It's certainly slower paced than Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but they aim for more realism. If you take Luke's superpowers out of he equation, there's (so far) nothing about this show that seems comic-booky. I'm loving the canvas of black culture too, and I don't mean that in an empty SJW way, it's really engaging. You got a superhero clobbering henchmen to Wu Tang Clan music, endless dialogues about NBA history, Crispus Attucks being a weirdly central figure to the story... it's refreshing.

Mike Coulter is a powerful presence too. And I don't mean that in the sense that he's built like a friggin' brick shithouse. The guy carries this show with the same ease he rips lamp posts.

It has been quite fun. Much more so than Daredevil where I am still slowly slogging through the 2nd season. At first the amount of over the top stereotypical blackness was a bit grating but it eventually goes down smoothly and the characters are compelling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Just finished it today. I think the show loses its way a bit towards the end, when Diamondback takes center stage and the show becomes less grounded. But it's still been a great ride. The characters are pretty good indeed, and the cast is probably the best in any of the Marvel superhero series.

I found the bit where [spoiler]the corrupt politician turns a BLM-ish rally into a call for equipping police with superweapons a bit baffling though.[/spoiler]  :lol:

garbon

I'm only as far as [spoiler]Cottonmouth getting owned by his cousin.[/spoiler]

Yeah, the characters/cast are actually interesting. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2016, 04:36:28 PM

Yeah, that's where the show starts to come apart a bit imho. It still has its moments - even if it's just to watch a bit more of those characters and actors -, but I think the first half of the season is much stronger than the second.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 03, 2016, 04:46:58 PM

Yeah, that's where the show starts to come apart a bit imho.

I'll see / oh you deleted the rest of that post. :D And then re-wrote. :P

I do think they need to quickly resolve the [spoiler]reluctant hero angle. We've seen that too many times and there is nothing compelling here about it. Seemed ridiculous when Cottonmouth had only just in this episode threatened to expose him. We already know Shades had told Cottonmouth his story.[/spoiler]

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2016, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 03, 2016, 04:46:58 PM

Yeah, that's where the show starts to come apart a bit imho.

I'll see / oh you deleted the rest of that post. :D And then re-wrote. :P

I do think they need to quickly resolve the [spoiler]reluctant hero angle. We've seen that too many times and there is nothing compelling here about it. Seemed ridiculous when Cottonmouth had only just in this episode threatened to expose him. We already know Shades had told Cottonmouth his story.[/spoiler]

They get rid of that angle. I'm actually interested in hearing your thoughts about the rest of the season, since they go for a very charged [spoiler]BLM/cops are racists metaphor which I'm still undecided whether is heavy-handed and opportunistic, or timely and relevant[/spoiler]. Probably a bit of both. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

I've been informed by multiple independent parties that I need to start watching Luke Cage.   :ph34r:

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2016, 05:29:12 PM
I've been informed by multiple independent parties that I need to start watching Luke Cage.   :ph34r:

You definitely should.

Josquius

Luke Cage- I don't understand what they're saying sometimes.  But fun. The 3rd episode fight scene looked daft, his attacks so half arsed that they didnt seem real (because they are more real than we are used to?) but it was amusing.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2016, 04:13:14 AM
I don't understand what they're saying sometimes.

Like what?