News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Nice

Given a choice between laughing at and crying over this crazy election cycle, we'd pick the first one every time — and soon, Jon Stewart may do us all a favor by returning to his comedic throne.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jon-stewart-hbo-election_us_572cb8c9e4b0bc9cb0467f1f
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on May 08, 2016, 01:28:13 AM
Have a watch of Northwest Passage. Good movie beside the stereotypical Indians and their cutesy outfits that they show the Rangers in.
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 07, 2016, 02:42:12 AM
Captain America Civil War,  awesome fun.
seconded :)

Some unusual behavior from one character toward the end though, but I can live with that.
Does not feel like a real civil war, though.  On that aspect, the movie fails to deliver.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on May 08, 2016, 02:15:30 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 07, 2016, 05:19:59 PM

I saw a movie that came out recently 99 Homes. It's about an unscrupulous realtor and his connections with others helping him bilk people out of their homes after the 2008 housing/financial crash. In most cases he's just evicting people legally but he and his group also find ways to scam the government and they make a fortune off of it.

Loved 99 Homes. A former teacher of mine directed it, actually (and he was quite nasty so I wasn't inclined to like his work :D)

:D

Josquius

Upstart Crow  - Ben Eltons new comedy starring David Mitchell.  About shakespere.
Awesome it sounds.
It's. ........ such a typical sitcom. In a very horrible sense of the word. Non stop jokes and annoying canned laughter. Many of the jokes are horrible shallow and typical of family sitcoms. A few slightly smarter and genuinely funny ones in there.  But amidst the barrage of crap.... can I put up with it?

Outlander- sounded cool. Woman from the war (why is it always the war?) Gets send back in time to 18th century Scotland.  Some cool stuff to it..... but it is largely overpowered by the mills and boon fantasies for middle aged women stuff. Shame.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Outlander- sounded cool. Woman from the war (why is it always the war?) Gets send back in time to 18th century Scotland.  Some cool stuff to it..... but it is largely overpowered by the mills and boon fantasies for middle aged women stuff. Shame.

I'm really liking this show. It's the second season (maybe third?) and I watched it from the beginning.

Savonarola

The Struggle (1931)

DW Griffith's final film, and notorious bomb.  Allegedly the screenwriters (Anita Loos and John Emerson) wrote the screenplay as a parody of Zola's L'Assommoir.  Griffith didn't get it and made a straight film about alcohol destroying the lives of the working poor.  The film was savaged as hokey and moralizing when it was released.  It's actually not any worse than most of the other films from the era; (in fact the outdoor scenes and the scenes set in the mill are better than most you'll find in early sound films.)   Still, seeing Griffith reduced to a single static camera shooting on a sound stage (as he does for most of the film) is hard to take for any silent cinema buff.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Making a moralizing anti-booze film in the early 30s is pretty bad timing culture-wise as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2016, 08:18:36 AM
Making a moralizing anti-booze film in the early 30s is pretty bad timing culture-wise as well.

They were careful to put the blame on Prohibition for both the protagonist switching from beer to hard liquor as well as for the quality of liquor he was drinking; but, yes, the film's message was 20 years behind the times.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Watched the cartoon series "Rick and Morty". Thought it was perfect in tone for the crowd here.  ;) Any of you seen it?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on May 11, 2016, 08:35:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2016, 08:18:36 AM

They were careful to put the blame on Prohibition for both the protagonist switching from beer to hard liquor as well as for the quality of liquor he was drinking; but, yes, the film's message was 20 years behind the times.

But 60 years before Nicolas Cage's Oscar.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2016, 09:04:02 AM
Watched the cartoon series "Rick and Morty". Thought it was perfect in tone for the crowd here.  ;) Any of you seen it?

It's one of my favorites.  If you like it you should also check out some of Dan Harmon's other stuff, like Community, his Harmontown podcast or Great Minds with Dan Harmon.

Harmontown can be a bit difficult to get into, but for fans of Rick and Morty I think this episode is a good introduction.  It features the possibly insane co-creator of Justin Roiland, John Oliver, Sarah Chalke and is only 45 minutes long (normally they run ~100 minutes).

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on May 11, 2016, 09:11:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2016, 09:04:02 AM

It's one of my favorites.  If you like it you should also check out some of Dan Harmon's other stuff, like Community, his Harmontown podcast or Great Minds with Dan Harmon.

Harmontown can be a bit difficult to get into, but for fans of Rick and Morty I think this episode is a good introduction.  It features the possibly insane co-creator of Justin Roiland, John Oliver, Sarah Chalke and is only 45 minutes long (normally they run ~100 minutes).

Heh, I'll look into it. I do enjoy R&M. It's a hoot, if often a very black-hearted hoot.  ;)

Fans of Rick and Morty may also get a kick out of Gravity Falls (even though it's a kid's show, while Rick and Morty obviously isn't  ;)). Apparently, the creators of the two shows are best buds, and the two shows have a certain resemblance in plot elements, if not in tone (Gravity Falls is as sweet as Rick and Morty is sour): use of dimentional portals and Time Police, for example. 

In fact, both do voice work on each other's shows - fans of Rick and Morty will note that one character in GF, a time traveler, has Morty's voice. There are a couple of Easter eggs linking the two shows (a cup falls into a portal in GF and emerges from a portal in R&M, for example).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on May 11, 2016, 08:16:53 AM
The Struggle (1931)

DW Griffith's final film, and notorious bomb.  Allegedly the screenwriters (Anita Loos and John Emerson) wrote the screenplay as a parody of Zola's L'Assommoir.  Griffith didn't get it and made a straight film about alcohol destroying the lives of the working poor.  The film was savaged as hokey and moralizing when it was released.  It's actually not any worse than most of the other films from the era; (in fact the outdoor scenes and the scenes set in the mill are better than most you'll find in early sound films.)   Still, seeing Griffith reduced to a single static camera shooting on a sound stage (as he does for most of the film) is hard to take for any silent cinema buff.

Have you seen DW's horror film, "One Exciting Night"? If you're interested in his work, you might enjoy that one. It's also one of the films that contributed to wreck his career, but there's some genuine filmmaking brilliance in it. It's just really long, although it's worth to stick with it for the hurricane climax.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on May 12, 2016, 03:49:36 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 11, 2016, 08:16:53 AM
The Struggle (1931)

Have you seen DW's horror film, "One Exciting Night"? If you're interested in his work, you might enjoy that one. It's also one of the films that contributed to wreck his career, but there's some genuine filmmaking brilliance in it. It's just really long, although it's worth to stick with it for the hurricane climax.

I haven't.  I'll keep an eye out for it, it isn't available on Netflix or Youtube yet.

Josquius

I've cancelled my Netflix.  Without vpn access it is worthless. Anime subtitled in German? Friends? No thanks.
██████
██████
██████