And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2016, 08:04:59 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2016, 04:28:38 PM
Mere suggestion from Ars Technica that the story could be done in flashbacks - Ford plays Old Indy, reminiscing about his adventures during the 1930s, now played by a new actor.  :hmm:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/03/disney-announces-new-indiana-jones-movie-with-harrison-ford/
Could do. The 30s feel is a big part of the series.

Or they could always have 1950s indie time travel to the 30s, meeting his younger self and altering the time line :ph34r:

Yeah, I'm not feeling a 60s Indy (going by Ford's current age) at all.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2016, 03:18:29 AM
Passion (2012)- I think this was in my Netflix queue because I read Rachel McAdams had a lesbian scene- not really worth it on that account, just a little kissing.

Upstairs or downstairs?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2016, 01:00:43 AM
Been watching S1 of Arrow. I've long had reservations due to the network it's on. And they're not without merit. It does have pretty artificial dialogue, at time verging on melodrama. There's a fair amount of talk about relationships and feelings and it often involves third parties. And they find an excuse every episode to have a scene where the main guy has his shirt off.

However, so far it's kept my interest(15 episodes in). Perhaps I'm a sucker, as in some ways it reminds me of Lost. Mysterious island, mysterious conspiracy. Generally, though I just think the plots are interesting enough to overlook the shortcomings. So far.

I found that show frustrating.  It has so many interesting elements to it, but parts of it are bad.  By the end of the second season I just couldn't watch it anymore.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2016, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: dps on March 15, 2016, 11:23:25 PM
Actually, they could have him on an adventure with 4 or 5 students, and whichever one of those the audience responds best to could be the lead in future films, with Ford doing cameos as Indy to give advice.

Hollywood would pick the chick. :bleeding:

Just reboot it like they did Ghostbusters...make Indiana a lady, with a little asian girl sidekick, and Nazi dominatrixes' in high-heel jack boots.

Savonarola

The Look of Silence (2015)

This documentary covers the Indonesian Killings of 1965.  One man, whose brother was killed in the massacre, goes to confront the killers.  This is portrayed as dangerous, since the the men who carried out the massacre are still in power; but actually the killers are more than willing to share their stories, even seeming to boast about their misdeeds.

It's rare that I can't make it through a movie, but this one was simply so dull that I eventually gave up.  That was surprising given its subject matter.  The problem is the film is shot in the cinéma vérité style and consists mostly of people staring off into space.  (One of the first shots is of a naked 103 year old man staring off; that's a great deal more vérité  than I need in my cinéma.)  It's a film about an important subject (and one that I think is poorly understood); but that doesn't make it a good film

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Given that it's probably something of a surprise that I liked:

Shoah (Part I) (1985)

A series of interviews of witnesses to the Holocaust including survivors, Poles who lived near the concentration camps and even one SS agent who supervised clean up of the gas chambers.  The following struck me:

Germans had to pay the Poles who drove the trains in vodka.  The conductor that was interviewed said he could hear the screams of the people in the train; he would have been unable to work had he not been drunk all the time. 

Even though the cattle cars are one of the most prevalent images of the Holocaust, some Jews from the west arrived by passenger cars (and some wealthy ones by private cars.)  The Poles remember some of the women making themselves up before getting off the train.

The Poles did try to warn the foreign Jews (those in the passenger cars) that they were headed to their death by miming the breaking of a chicken's neck.  The Jews either didn't understand or weren't willing to believe it.

The one SS officer that was interviewed was able to escape punishment because it was proved at his trial he didn't know he was being assigned to a death camp.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Looks like Disney is going to dip his toes in the world of "The Black Cauldron" again, maybe an outright remake...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/chronicles-of-prydain-movie-disney-1201733058/

I really really loved that movie as a kid. Dark, cool, and scary.

CountDeMoney

I loved those books as a kid.  Hopefully when they redo the movie, it will actually resemble the book in more than just proper nouns. 

But hey, I saw Legolas in one of The Hobbit movies, so they can pencil in Michael Corleone for all the fuck it matters anymore with those filthy fucks.

PDH

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2016, 12:15:08 PM
Shoah (Part I) (1985)

Was it the first or the second one (or maybe another movie altogether) that had the interviews with the people (then kids) who talked about miming being killed to the people headed to the camps?  It has been a while...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2016, 12:00:59 PM
The Look of Silence (2015)

This documentary covers the Indonesian Killings of 1965.  One man, whose brother was killed in the massacre, goes to confront the killers.  This is portrayed as dangerous, since the the men who carried out the massacre are still in power; but actually the killers are more than willing to share their stories, even seeming to boast about their misdeeds.

It's rare that I can't make it through a movie, but this one was simply so dull that I eventually gave up.  That was surprising given its subject matter.  The problem is the film is shot in the cinéma vérité style and consists mostly of people staring off into space.  (One of the first shots is of a naked 103 year old man staring off; that's a great deal more vérité  than I need in my cinéma.)  It's a film about an important subject (and one that I think is poorly understood); but that doesn't make it a good film

Did you see the predecessor film, The Act of Killing?  It covers the same topic (US-backed Indonesian anti-Communist torturers and murders boasting about their crimes) but actually gives them some budget to reenact their crimes in Hollywood style.  It gets surreal, but after all, they started out as gangsters controlling the Hollywood movie-ticket racket and so disliked the Communist government's ban on American movies.  That film I really liked, but have been reluctant to see this one that treads the same ground.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2016, 08:36:25 PM
Looks like Disney is going to dip his toes in the world of "The Black Cauldron" again, maybe an outright remake...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/chronicles-of-prydain-movie-disney-1201733058/

I really really loved that movie as a kid. Dark, cool, and scary.

Loved those books as a kid.  I am very open to a Black Cauldron remake.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: PDH on March 17, 2016, 08:50:31 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2016, 12:15:08 PM
Shoah (Part I) (1985)

Was it the first or the second one (or maybe another movie altogether) that had the interviews with the people (then kids) who talked about miming being killed to the people headed to the camps?  It has been a while...

Yes, in the first part the Poles said they mimed being executed to the foreign Jews (the ones arriving on passenger trains; presumably the ones in the cattle cars knew what was waiting for them.)  One of the survivors said that he saw the Poles doing that, but didn't understand what they meant.

Savonarola

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 17, 2016, 10:22:28 PM
Did you see the predecessor film, The Act of Killing?  It covers the same topic (US-backed Indonesian anti-Communist torturers and murders boasting about their crimes) but actually gives them some budget to reenact their crimes in Hollywood style.  It gets surreal, but after all, they started out as gangsters controlling the Hollywood movie-ticket racket and so disliked the Communist government's ban on American movies.  That film I really liked, but have been reluctant to see this one that treads the same ground.

I didn't; that sounds interesting.  This one didn't look like it had much of a budget and is seen largely from the victim's perspective. 

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Savonarola on March 18, 2016, 06:52:21 AM
I didn't; that sounds interesting.  This one didn't look like it had much of a budget and is seen largely from the victim's perspective.

Ah, entirely the inverse of the first one, where you only get glimpses of the victims' children, who are still afraid of reprisals.  As they might well be, since you see the torturers lauded and applauded in front of a live studio audience on a mainstream talk show.  You should really see it, it's fascinating in the way humanity and cinema overlap.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)