News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Does Miramax still qualify?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2016, 05:06:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2016, 04:23:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 04, 2016, 04:20:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2016, 04:17:22 PM
Heathers is a great movie. I am not sure Hollywood of today could even make a movie like that.

Wasn't it considered an indie movie at the time (might be wrong)? And even so, it was a commercial flop originally, wasn't it? (Not that that says something about a movie's legacy or later popularity).

Myabe it was a flop, I don't know.

But even so, that would not disprove my point. Hollywood today has become amazingly competent at turning out incredibly profitable movies that have very little imagination or actual story to them, much less any kind of controversial topics.

They have the giant dollar blockbuster down to an "art" that has very little artistry in it...

I'm pretty sure there are still movie outlets that can put together over the top movies. Whether or not you find them and whether or not you enjoy them are entirely different matters. ;)

Bruce LaBruce has been getting better at his trade. So has Xavier Dolan. :yes:

celedhring

Josephus

Heathers is a great movie. I am not sure Hollywood of today could even make a movie like that.

Wasn't it considered an indie movie at the time (might be wrong)? And even so, it was a commercial flop originally, wasn't it? (Not that that says something about a movie's legacy or later popularity).

I remember seeing it in the movie theatres and loving Heathers (even though Winona ain't no Ally Sheedy ). I remember thinking that this Christian Slater guy is the next Jack Nicholson
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

frunk

Heathers Oral History

QuoteMICHAEL LEHMANN Director The original ending was that [spoiler]J.D. blew up the high school and they all died, then there was a prom scene in heaven. [New World execs] just said, "No way. We can't make a satirical movie about teenage suicide in which the people actually kill themselves."[/spoiler]

Hmm, I'm not sure if that would have been cooler or way too cutesy an ending.

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2016, 05:13:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2016, 05:00:01 PM
How can that be - it had all those big names stars! :P

It was released in 1988. Ryder had been in Beetlejuice, Slater in The Name of the Rose, and Doherty in a few forgotten tv series.

Yeah, I'd never heard of Christian Slater at that point, though I liked him later in Pump Up The Volume.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on January 04, 2016, 05:38:05 PM

I remember seeing it in the movie theatres and loving Heathers (even though Winona ain't no Ally Sheedy ). I remember thinking that this Christian Slater guy is the next Jack Nicholson

So your taste is no taste? ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2016, 05:13:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2016, 05:00:01 PM
How can that be - it had all those big names stars! :P

It was released in 1988. Ryder had been in Beetlejuice, Slater in The Name of the Rose, and Doherty in a few forgotten tv series.

Hence the :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Speaking of Heathers, what's Languish consensus on Hudsown Hawk? Amazing or turboshit? I love it  :blush:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2016, 05:41:28 PM
So your taste is no taste? ;)

Eh Christian Slater does mimic a lot of Nicholson's mannerisms.

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2016, 05:47:22 PM
Speaking of Heathers, what's Languish consensus on Hudsown Hawk? Amazing or turboshit? I love it  :blush:
Jesus, you are the Spanish Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

frunk

QuoteWATERS I did come up with this crazy, cockamamy Heathers 2 where Veronica becomes a page for a senator named Heather, played by Meryl Streep. The ending is her assassinating the president and getting away with it — and it's a good thing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2016, 05:47:22 PM

I was gonna watch that a while back and never got around to it.

crazy canuck

Watched the Last Kingdom on netflix.  I liked it a lot.  Good witty dialogue, a good story and good production value.