News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You know Jay the Jaw has like 50 vintage cars, right?

Leno is the one from whom I learned "it's a doozy" comes from the Dusenberg (sp).

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, and it seems like an obvious pick if you want a show to bring in lots of celebrities--which Jay has met everybody in Hollywood.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2015, 05:50:01 PM
Bridge of Spies.

At last, a movie that recognizes that lawyers engaged in difficult negotiations on behalf of clients are the real heroes!  :showoff:
I didn't get that message at all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on October 30, 2015, 07:40:46 AM
I miss Ide, this was he always came up with something good this time of year.

:o Is he gone?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Sent him a Facebook message
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

I just watched the latest episode of You're The Worst and holy shit that was good. This show is on fast track to reaching Arrested Development status for me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2015, 02:20:50 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 30, 2015, 07:40:46 AM
I miss Ide, this was he always came up with something good this time of year.

:o Is he gone?

He hasn't posted in a while; but he's gone on hiatus before.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

He pretty much quit posting for three years once.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Bridge of Spies.

At last, a movie that recognizes that lawyers engaged in difficult negotiations on behalf of clients are the real heroes!  :showoff:

I've heard very good things about it. Like someone say it might be Hanks best work. And I think Hanks is the best actor of his generation.

Is it that good?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Bob Iger on Disney's earning release: "Don't worry. Luke Skywalker is in the movie."  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2015, 04:06:57 PM
Bridge of Spies.

I've heard very good things about it. Like someone say it might be Hanks best work. And I think Hanks is the best actor of his generation.

Is it that good?

Well, I thought it was very good. Some may find it a tad on the dry side, as it is more about the political and legal machinations involved in the Cold War spying game than about explosions and cloak-and-dagger (though it has at least one explosion  ;) ). Tom Hanks is, of course, perfect for this role, and he plays it very well.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

As long as it's not actually WRITTEN by lawyers, might be good.

My first post-school work was proofreading legal documents....God...
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2015, 02:28:12 PM
I don't think you should use the reflexive there, since it's de facto passive voice. :nerd:

That's how I've always seen Barack's slogan translated into Spanish.  I looked it up and learned that it is derived from a slogan Cesar Chavez used:  Si se puede
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on November 06, 2015, 09:30:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2015, 02:28:12 PM
I don't think you should use the reflexive there, since it's de facto passive voice. :nerd:

That's how I've always seen Barack's slogan translated into Spanish.  I looked it up and learned that it is derived from a slogan Cesar Chavez used:  Si se puede

Barack used "Sí se puede" when campaigning in latino areas in 2008, I was living in the US at the time and I kept some campaign materials as a memento. The translation is technically incorrect (the straight translation would be "Sí podemos"), but it has obviously stuck.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2015, 08:50:23 PM
As long as it's not actually WRITTEN by lawyers, might be good.

My first post-school work was proofreading legal documents....God...

Then you didn't read stuff written by good lawyers. Good legal drafting and writing is clear (and persuasive, if persuading is its goal), by definition.  :) It may not be entertaining, of course, because there is only so much entertainment one can wring out of a contract to supply reinforced concrete (or whatever).  ;)

Legal writing tends to suffer because, in the area of contract drafting, lazy drafters attempt to recycle precedents, both to save time and because they fear they may be missing something important if they don't. I can't count the number of times an in-house client has come to me with some elaborate 30 page agreement full of pointless boilerplate, and I have advised them that, for what they actually need to accomplish, drafting up a simple letter agreement that actually spells out what needs doing in clear, simple terms. The "art" lies in spotting the actual risks and how to avoid them - those complex, indecipherable contracts often create risks. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius