Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2015, 04:21:19 AM
Empire magazine's 500 greatest films of all time checklist:

http://www.listchallenges.com/empire-magazines-500-greatest-films-of-all-time

I have seen 422/500. Some of the picks are really questionable though. The Star Wars prequels  :bleeding: Transformers :bleeding: :bleeding:
Given the criterias, I ain't doing so bad :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Hey guys - I've seen a lot of these "best movie" type lists. Always, they get trashed. What is the most generally acknowledged such list? Is there one?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Ignore the lists.  Enjoy movies yourself.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 17, 2015, 01:52:56 PM
Hey guys - I've seen a lot of these "best movie" type lists. Always, they get trashed. What is the most generally acknowledged such list? Is there one?

What we need is a "best movies list" list.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2015, 01:59:26 PM

What we need is a "best movies list" list.

:D

Well, one would do ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,11735.0.html

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on August 17, 2015, 02:09:51 PM
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,11735.0.html

Heh, I missed that thread first time 'round. Actually, pretty nice set of lists by the folks here.  :thumbsup: Lots o stuff I haven't seen.

viper37

if it's short and covers a long timespan, like below 50 in the last 100 years, lots of good movies will be ignored.  If it's too long, like 500, you get to include crappy movies.

Then we get into the subjective tastes of everyone.
Movie critics tend to attach importance to the form rather than the content.  Boring repetitive and unoriginal plot gets credits if there's some special lighting effect or a tricky camera angle or a some weird editing done.

Just enjoy the movies you enjoy and don't care about lists.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2015, 02:59:18 PM
if it's short and covers a long timespan, like below 50 in the last 100 years, lots of good movies will be ignored.  If it's too long, like 500, you get to include crappy movies.

Then we get into the subjective tastes of everyone.
Movie critics tend to attach importance to the form rather than the content.  Boring repetitive and unoriginal plot gets credits if there's some special lighting effect or a tricky camera angle or a some weird editing done.

Just enjoy the movies you enjoy and don't care about lists.

Don't worry, I don't care if my taste matches the 'experts' in the slightest.  ;) Such lists can be useful though - if they mention movies I haven't seen, and the ones on 'em that I have seen I think are good, I can look for suggestions.

Barrister

YEa, I went through this list (saw 177) and came across quite a few "you know, I really should see that" suggestions...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Goddamn that's a long list.  Gave up around 125.

Duque de Bragança

262/500

I managed to avoid quite a lot of well-known movies such as Dirty Dancing or even Pixar movies, even if I recognise the lines and can quote them sometimes to ridiculise
Lots of movies I was not sure I had watched a long time ago e.g Doulos. Other I could have watched but gave up due to nonsensical programmation choices. Bresson dubbed in German? WTF???

PS: recount. For some reason, I left three I am sure I watched.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2015, 04:06:32 PM
Goddamn that's a long list.  Gave up around 125.

Yup only lawyers have time for this nonsense. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Let's use the list in another way. Which is the highest ranking movie that you have not watched?

Mine is "Singin' in the rain" at #8.