Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 17, 2015, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2015, 10:31:37 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 08:27:49 AM
Obviously it can't be as good as the original three, because we're looking at it with different eyes.

I'm going out on a limb and say we probably all saw the first movie before we had pubic hairs...if we watched it for the first time at 40, it probably wouldn't have the same effect. It's all about nostalgia now, which is why we all came when we saw Han and Chewy. No doubt this movie will get better reception because it plays to that nostalgia factor with the original characters that the last three movies didn't. Honestly otehr than Jar Jar Bink, I can't name a supporting character, wheras with the old movies I can name them all...even IG88 and SnaggleTooth.

:yes:

Hell just hearing the beginning notes of the musical score in the trailer got my heart racing even before the camera panned across.

Yeap. And they did that on purpose for that same emotional effect.
I would love for them to use the original score in the new movie(s) and continue to tie in the story to the original trilogy as much as they can.

They got old man John Williams to make the score.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Oh apparently the desert scenes are not on Tatooine, but rather are a planet called Jakku.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Channel surfed a bit of Million Dollar Arm, about finding baseball pitchers in India.  Didn't really go anywhere interesting, so I gave up on it.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2015, 11:42:55 AM
Channel surfed a bit of Million Dollar Arm, about finding baseball pitchers in India.  Didn't really go anywhere interesting, so I gave up on it.

Spoiler alert: [spoiler]The guy gets the girl and discovers how to be a good person and crap. The two Indian guys get pro contracts. The nerdy Indian baseball fan starts a baseball team in India that crushes all the competition...such as it is. Basically exactly where one would expect a Hollywood film to go.[/spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The puking scene was well done.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2015, 12:09:51 PM
The puking scene was well done.

Better than the one in Team America?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

frunk

Anybody seen Danger 5?  I just saw it show up on Netflix.  It looks... interesting.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 17, 2015, 10:47:09 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 10:38:12 AM
Are they doing a trilogy...or just a one-off?

1 Star Wars movie every year.

It will alternate between a Skywalker saga movie & one set in the Star Wars Universe.

2016's movie is Bounty Hunter related.

Aye, they are going to milk the cow pretty hard. I just hope they don't spread themselves too thin and the movies manage to be good enough.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on April 17, 2015, 02:42:38 PM
Anybody seen Danger 5?  I just saw it show up on Netflix.  It looks... interesting.

I watched about 10 minutes of it. The camp goes to 11.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

New Star Wars movies can't be that bad, I mean, Lucas is no longer involved after all.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Sheilbh

The latest Inside No 9 :o :blink:

Excellent TV though.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

I anxiously await the next Star Wars movie. It doesn't have to be great, just done well and I'll probably be happy.

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 17, 2015, 02:57:59 PM
New Star Wars movies can't be that bad, I mean, Lucas is no longer involved after all.

But what if Lucas was the only one holding them together at all? :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

He did have a vision though; the prequels did tell a compelling story (Anakin's downfall), they just did it in a terribly incompetent manner. I wish he had stayed in a story capacity, but I understand he couldn't just be half-involved in it.