And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 30, 2015, 04:02:14 PM
Well sometimes he can be just a bit too Bruce Willis.

He's always 100% Bruce Willis.  The man only has two gears: grim, stoic Bruce Willis and beat up smart ass Bruce Willis.  But he does generally pick decent scripts.  And he does do stoic and beat up fairly well.

Yeah, the guy has always struck me as being pretty smart when picking projects. He's got lots of interesting and even plain great films in his resume.

Also, I love Hudson Hawk. Am I wrong in this? Most people I met hate it.

Admiral Yi

I've never seen Hudson Hawk.

Habbaku

Hudson Hawk is atrocious past the first 15 minutes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

I think that Bruce Willis is an underrated comical actor. Death becomes her is great fun, and The whole nine yards too. And he almost single handedly made Pulp Fiction possible by signing into it thus guaranteeing its viability.

Darth Wagtaros

Nor have I. Looked decent for what it was.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Perfume: Story of a Murderer. Interesting movie ruined by the stupid ending.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors. I don't think he's greatest but I enjoy just about everything he's in.

dps

Quote from: The Larch on March 30, 2015, 05:11:10 PM
I think that Bruce Willis is an underrated comical actor. Death becomes her is great fun, and The whole nine yards too.

A couple of my favorite comedies.

But Hudson Hawk is just awful.

Tonitrus

I liked Bonfire of the Vanities.

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2015, 04:35:38 PM
Also, I love Hudson Hawk. Am I wrong in this? Most people I met hate it.
I thought I was the only one loving this movie! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2015, 07:18:03 PM
Perfume: Story of a Murderer. Interesting movie ruined by the stupid ending.

Weird synchronicity, I recently watched it too, at the behest of my girlfriend.  I didn't love it, or even particularly like it, although the ending was the most interesting part for me since it, at least, was sufficiently batshit insane to be absorbing despite being preposterous and idiotic.

You didn't watch The Craft and Eve's Bayou recently, too, did you? :hmm:  (Two other movies I'd not have made a point of seeing if not for my girlfriend. :P  Although I liked both better, especially Eve's Bayou, which is legitimately really good.)

Oh, and Bruce Willis is great; he's the best part of Bonfire of the Vanities, the most anonymous De Palma film of them all; Hudson Hawk is a fine caper comedy, albeit silly; and Looper sucks.  For good time travel puzzleboxes of the 2010s, I recommend Predestination.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2014) is powerfully boring.  Undeniable artistry, but really dull.  C
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on March 30, 2015, 11:21:19 PM
Weird synchronicity

It popped up on Netflix and I'm running out of stuff to watch there. I mean, sure, my list has over a hundred entries, but many of them I've been passing over for years.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Mine's like that, especially my disc queue, which is apparently a thing no one uses anymore.  I hate it because I always wind up getting something five days or more after I actually wanted to watch it.
Kinemalogue