Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 10:23:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 12, 2014, 10:17:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2014, 10:22:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
21 Things in Interstellar That Don't Make Sense.

I will still watch it once it's out on blu ray, to form my own opinion, though chances are that at that point it'll be positive surprise.

I really wanted to like this movie. I'm a sucker for big, self-important, serious SF (as opposed to Star Wars style space opera), of which the leading exemplar is and remains 2001.

Sadly, while of course not set in the same fictional universe, in some ways Interstellar is to 2001 as Prometheus was to Alien.

I saw 2001 in a theater this past weekend. :)
OK, I guess New York has its perks. :(

Nah, son. That was in Toronto. :hug:

Was that part of the TIFF Lightbox show they are having on Kubrick? Did you see the exhibit? And if so, was it worth seeing? I'm considering seeing it this weekend.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
Also: Insomnia (1997).  Dour, empty Euro artcrap.  I did like Stellan Skarsgard, but that was inevitable.  Otherwise, it's a big "whatever."  C+

:rolleyes:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
Also: Insomnia (1997).  Dour, empty Euro artcrap.  I did like Stellan Skarsgard, but that was inevitable.  Otherwise, it's a big "whatever."  C+

:rolleyes:

Too many Godzilla movies.

The Minsky Moment

This kind of mentality is why we are cursed with an unending series of remakes, reboots and recycled comic strip scripts.  Sure the stories and dialogue are reptititive, derivative, and banal, but they are perfect vehicles for the snazzy costumes and sets and CGI fireworks that Ide and his ADD generation crave.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2014, 09:39:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 10:23:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 12, 2014, 10:17:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2014, 10:22:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
21 Things in Interstellar That Don't Make Sense.

I will still watch it once it's out on blu ray, to form my own opinion, though chances are that at that point it'll be positive surprise.

I really wanted to like this movie. I'm a sucker for big, self-important, serious SF (as opposed to Star Wars style space opera), of which the leading exemplar is and remains 2001.

Sadly, while of course not set in the same fictional universe, in some ways Interstellar is to 2001 as Prometheus was to Alien.

I saw 2001 in a theater this past weekend. :)
OK, I guess New York has its perks. :(

Nah, son. That was in Toronto. :hug:

Was that part of the TIFF Lightbox show they are having on Kubrick? Did you see the exhibit? And if so, was it worth seeing? I'm considering seeing it this weekend.

Yeah it was part of that show. For separate cost (:D), they were showing 2001 and then different ticket for Paths of Glory. We had actually only planned on seeing the exhibit but then decided we want to also catch the screening of 2001.

I think exhibit was pretty good. We probably spent about an hour looking at the two floors. Was set photos, scripts, shooting schedules, props, various press clippings, private correspondence - and then a fair amount on his never realized projects. Good if looking at that sort of stuff interests you.

Btw, Ide, I realized other thing I forgot was that I think Toronto gives New York a good run for its money in terms of high prices.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2014, 10:37:17 AM

Yeah it was part of that show. For separate cost (:D), they were showing 2001 and then different ticket for Paths of Glory. We had actually only planned on seeing the exhibit but then decided we want to also catch the screening of 2001.

I think exhibit was pretty good. We probably spent about an hour looking at the two floors. Was set photos, scripts, shooting schedules, props, various press clippings, private correspondence - and then a fair amount on his never realized projects. Good if looking at that sort of stuff interests you.

Sounds good. Thanks.  :)

Btw, Ide, I realized other thing I forgot was that I think Toronto gives New York a good run for its money in terms of high prices.

One of my favorite things to show vistors to Toronto is a tiny plaque off of an alley near my work. It commemorates the spot on which the first church was built - some dour Protestant sect, and so the church was, of course, extremely plain.

The irony is that it is now the site of Commerce Court North - and a main branch of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, the interior of which is done up in the most extravagant style possible - more like a cathedral than a bank (complete with guilded interior dome and gargoyles). All is gold leaf, expense and ostentation.

It's like the story of Toronto in a nutshell.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 10:36:15 AM
This kind of mentality is why we are cursed with an unending series of remakes, reboots and recycled comic strip scripts.  Sure the stories and dialogue are reptititive, derivative, and banal, but they are perfect vehicles for the snazzy costumes and sets and CGI fireworks that Ide and his ADD generation crave.

Seriously, don't lump me in with that Reese's-gulping Philistine, kthx.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Just laying my marker down. I think I know who killed Sarah on Arrow. [spoiler]Captain Boomerang[/spoiler]. Just for future reference and I told you so's if it does actually turn out to be true.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Savonarola

I watched a collection of Charlie Chaplin :bowler: shorts made for the Mutual Company between 1916 and 1917.  The most famous of these are "The Immigrant" and "Easy Street."  This is a time of transition for Chaplin.  Some of the films are every bit as manic as anything he made for Sennett or Essanay; other's are poignant, more in the vein of "The Kid."  I think that these are some of his best films; I prefer his short films to his feature lengths, and these are some of his most sophisticated shorts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 10:36:15 AM

Big shock: snob is snobby.

You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper if not broader tastes, but at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Does someone need their nappy time? :unsure:

Ideologue

Can't.  We've got... insomnia!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper and broader tastes, or at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.

I haven't noted Joan being particularly bitter?  :huh:

Eddie Teach

You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper if not broader tastes, but at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.

Has Minsky laid enough bread crumbs for you to know what his palate is (rather than what it is not)?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2014, 05:00:58 PM

You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper and broader tastes, or at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.

I haven't noted Joan being particularly bitter?  :huh:

In the post I was replying to he certainly was.  Dude gets cranky about Hollywood's remake culture, and kids today, and newly popular genres he doesn't enjoy or understand, and even technological progress.  With my "get off my lawn!" free space, I got bitter old man bingo.
Kinemalogue