News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stars ordered 10 episodes of "Ash vs. Evil Dead". Yes, Bruce Campbell is involved.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

S-Mart has good benefits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2014, 10:22:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
21 Things in Interstellar That Don't Make Sense.

I will still watch it once it's out on blu ray, to form my own opinion, though chances are that at that point it'll be positive surprise.

I really wanted to like this movie. I'm a sucker for big, self-important, serious SF (as opposed to Star Wars style space opera), of which the leading exemplar is and remains 2001.

Sadly, while of course not set in the same fictional universe, in some ways Interstellar is to 2001 as Prometheus was to Alien.

I saw 2001 in a theater this past weekend. :)
OK, I guess New York has its perks. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 12, 2014, 10:17:33 PM

I will still watch it once it's out on blu ray, to form my own opinion, though chances are that at that point it'll be positive surprise.

I really wanted to like this movie. I'm a sucker for big, self-important, serious SF (as opposed to Star Wars style space opera), of which the leading exemplar is and remains 2001.

Sadly, while of course not set in the same fictional universe, in some ways Interstellar is to 2001 as Prometheus was to Alien.

Nah, son. That was in Toronto. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2014, 04:55:39 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2014, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2014, 04:50:00 PM
Wait - Ide, have you seen it? Do you think it is completely terrible?

He gave it a B+, so there's really no telling.  :P

Damn. I was hoping he hated it.
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 10:23:53 PM

Well, I already knew Canada is the Better America.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Quote from: Scipio on November 12, 2014, 04:42:53 PM

That article loses on point 1, for one simple reason: most beer is not made out of wheat, but barley. Also, you can make perfectly serviceable crap American lager mostly from corn. It'll be fucking awful (chicha), but if you juice it with other fermentables, it's technically drinkable.

Might be. Still, the "secret NASA with super high tech funded by near-defunct U.S. government" sounds a bit damning.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 11:31:07 PM
near-defunct U.S. government" sounds a bit damning.

Probably the most plausible part of the plot.

Savonarola

I rewatched "Rabbit of Seville" (1950).  I had never before noticed the title card at the Hollywood Bowl listed: Eduardo Selzeri, Michele Maltese and Carlo Jonzi, for the producer Edward Selzer, writer Micheal Maltese and director Chuck Jones.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Open Windows (2014).  Bizarre cinematic gimmick from the land of opportunity, Spain, featuring Elijah Wood and Sasha Grey.  It's retarded, and I loved it.  A

Interstellar (2014).  B pluses do too mean something, damn your eyes.  B+

Also marathoned the non-Bat Nolan films (I rewatched The Dark Knight Trilogy pretty recently too).  Got a list that goes like this: 9-7, 6-4, 3-1.

Also: Insomnia (1997).  Dour, empty Euro artcrap.  I did like Stellan Skarsgard, but that was inevitable.  Otherwise, it's a big "whatever."  C+
Kinemalogue

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 12, 2014, 11:11:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2014, 10:23:53 PM

Well, I already knew Canada is the Better America.

I don't know. Toronto seemed basically to close up shop on Mondays. So many cool looking things/restaurants were simply not open. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Monday's the slowest day in the restaurant biz.  It's defensible, is all I'm saying, if a bit inconvenient and lame.
Kinemalogue