News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Oh, I forgot about Planet of the Apes.  I think I'm the only one on Earth who likes that movie. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2014, 12:25:51 PM
I like Sleepy Hollow, too. Let me see... I'm bored, and when I'm bored I make lists:

1) Ed Wood (masterpiece)
2) Edward Scissorhands (masterpiece)
3) Batman Returns
4) Batman
5) Bettlejuice
6) Sleepy Hollow
7) Big Fish
------------------------ Good film threshold.
8) Mars Attacks
9) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
10) Corpse Bride

I haven't seen Frankenweenie yet. If you consider Nightmare Before Christmas a Tim Burton film, it would shoot to number #2.

Mostly wrong, and missing some key films:

1.  Ed Wood
2.  Pee Wee's Big Adventure
3.  James and the Giant Peach
4.  Big Fish
5.  Edward Scissorhands
6.  Batman Returns
7.  Beetlejuice
8.  Corpse Bride
9.  Sweeney Todd
10. Batman
11. Sleepy Hollow
--Bad Movie Line--
12. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
13. Planet of the Apes
14. Mars Attacks!
15. Alice in Wonderland

Haven't seen: Dark Shadows, Frankenweenie

celedhring

I really hated Pee Wee the first time I saw it. Maybe I should give it another chance.

And he didn't direct or write James and the Giant Peach, which is indeed a quite good film.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2014, 01:01:20 PM
I really hated Pee Wee the first time I saw it. Maybe I should give it another chance.

And he didn't direct or write James and the Giant Peach, which is indeed a quite good film.

My mistake on James.  I thought that was him doing right by Dahl.  He did produce though.

Eddie Teach

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Better than expected, considering it was a sequel to a 25 year old film. It was passable.

Playing the Burton game(though some of these I haven't seen in 15-20 years)
Batman
Ed Wood
Batman Returns
Sweeney Todd
Alice in Wonderland
Mars Attacks!
Big Fish
Beetlejuice
Edward Scissorhands
Sleepy Hollow
Planet of the Apes
Dark Shadows

None of them are terrible, a couple are pretty meh, most pretty good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Bunch of Jack Arnold movies and a not inconsiderable amount of other SF ephemera came today. :w00t:

On the minus side, Revenge of the Creature is not one of them, and I really want a look at that DVD... the movie sucks, iirc, but Tom Weaver's got a commentary track on it, and he's a really impressive film historian and a gentle host, too. :(  Seriously, Netflix is a fucking joke.  They don't have The Creature Walks Among Us either--that's not Jack Arnold, but William Alland did produce and it's got Rex Reason and Jeff Morrow together again, which is reason enough to check it out.  I do gather that it's atrocious, but I'd still like to see it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2014, 12:36:22 PM
Plus I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has just enough to recommend it.  It's not a great movie by any stretch, but I found it entertaining, and I really enjoyed Depp doing his schtick in a Michael Jackson register.

QuoteMars Attacks is definitely boring,

Dickhead.

The Brain

Depp is annoying. Yeah you play a gay character, whoopdedfuckingda.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2014, 04:51:36 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2014, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2014, 06:58:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
It's really bumming me out how little respect Jack Arnold's filmography's gotten, that only something like 70% of his 1950s output is available in any fashion, and only about half available in any easily obtainable format.  Sure, Criterion will make sure every last little piece of crap by any Euroloser with a camera gets a pristine blu-ray release, but an American contract director who made good movies that people would probably actually enjoy?  Fuck that.  It's not pretentious enough.

He has... one? two? Movies that are actually good. Thrown in Creature of Black Lagoon for its cult status, and that's it.

But Incredible Shrinking Man deserves Criterion treatment, yeah.

Well, personally, I think It Came From Another World, The Glass Web, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon are all As.  (I know good and well Revenge of the Creature is not. :(  I'll have to see about Tarantula, and it's been many, many moons since I saw The Incredible Shrinking Man, so I hardly remember it, though it enjoys the highest latterday reputation of his works.)

I'm also getting No Name on the Bullet from Amazon tomorrow, which sounds like a pretty bitchin' Western.  I wanted to watch his other two, Red Sundown and Man in the Shadow (it has Orson Welles!) but no dice. :(

Let's just say we disagree in his appraisal. It Came From Outer Space is the only other film of his (that I have seen) besides Shrinking Man that I strongly rate. Man in the Shadow is a decent film, yeah, but nothing extraordinary. Tarantula and Glass Web are just 50s pulp trash and I haven't seen No Name in the Bullet.

Turns out it's kind of a remake of The Seventh Seal. :lol:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Can any of you Western buffs give me a quick idea of Audie Murphy's reputation as an actor?  My understanding is that he was consider just basically okay, e.g. in The Red Badge of Courage, as well as in his Westerns.  I've never seen To Hell and Back, which I gather his performance as himself is pretty well-regarded--indeed, other than Red Badge (and then like twenty-four years ago) I don't think I've seen but the one Murphy picture, No Name on the Bullet.

If he's actually considered on par with Wayne, Stewart, or Eastwood, I see no talk of it on the Internet.  (And since 90% of hits are about how awesome he was at sending Germans to their maker, it's harder to just research than you'd think.)

Edit: I say quick, but you can be as detailed as you like.  I'm easy. :P
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Audie Murphy was just OK.  He filled in honestly, was competent but unremarkable.  He didn't sink his flicks.

In short:  definitely not Wayne, Stewart or Eastwood, but he was no Sophia Coppola in Godfather III :bleeding:, either.

Ideologue

Thanks. :)

And, with all due respect to Murphy, as an airman Stewart was better at killing Germans too. :smoke:
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

You should fill up on more Aldo Ray.  Now that was a classic man's man.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2014, 10:30:53 PM
Can any of you Western buffs give me a quick idea of Audie Murphy's reputation as an actor?  My understanding is that he was consider just basically okay, e.g. in The Red Badge of Courage, as well as in his Westerns.  I've never seen To Hell and Back, which I gather his performance as himself is pretty well-regarded--indeed, other than Red Badge (and then like twenty-four years ago) I don't think I've seen but the one Murphy picture, No Name on the Bullet.

If he's actually considered on par with Wayne, Stewart, or Eastwood, I see no talk of it on the Internet.  (And since 90% of hits are about how awesome he was at sending Germans to their maker, it's harder to just research than you'd think.)

Edit: I say quick, but you can be as detailed as you like.  I'm easy. :P

Pluto. Nash. End of fucking story.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue