And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 14, 2014, 03:47:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2014, 03:37:06 AM
That's one good thing about Scientology. Has led to cruise (and therefore money) wanting to do more sci fi

It more directly led John Travolta to wanting to do more sci fi.

A hugely under-rated film.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Always fancied a place in CdM's sig?
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

That movie got a 2.4 rating on IMDB. Double that score and it's still not worth watching.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

It's worth catching about 15 minutes to see what the fuss is about.  That should be good enough for about 5 leverage!!! lines.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2014, 03:39:04 PM

No shit, man. 

From Cracked--

QuoteBattlefield Earth was shopped around Hollywood for years with no takers. Studios worried that the negative public perception of Scientology might affect the movie's gross. A brave studio called Franchise Pictures finally brought the story to life starring Scientologist and Sweathog John Travolta as a dictator named Terl who exhibits a taste for every kind of scenery. Upon its release Battlefield Earth promptly made no money. Franchise Pictures, who learned all the wrong lessons from The Producers, overestimated the film's budget by about 37 million and ended up being sued into oblivion. That the film was lambasted by critics is an understatement.

Today, it is considered by many to be one of the worst films of all time. However, Battlefield Earth retains a cult following among people who love the movie because Tom Cruise tells them they do, as well as a small group of devotees who love it precisely because it is so fucking terrible.

Yi, unless you're stoned, you and your frontal lobe won't be able to last those 15 minutes.  It's that fucking bad.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 15, 2014, 08:47:20 AM
Just saw Edge of Tomorrow and 22 Jump Street at the drive-in last night.  Timmy taint notwithstanding, if you haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow yet, do it.

Ide, I'm going to call bullshit on your analysis.  You mention superior ending, but [spoiler]EoT and Oblivion have exactly the same ending- he dies, and the end hard-cuts with a reunion between him and The Girl, who are going to have to get to know each other all over again.  If anything, EoT is superior for giving Tom Cruise more believable flaws to overcome in the beginning and a more believable progression towards becoming the "ideal hero."  Oh, and he gets to maintain a major flaw in the form of being paralyzed into inaction by concern for The Girl.  The closest Oblivion came was his hero worship of Sexy Morgan Freeman.[/spoiler]

I haven't enjoyed a Tom Cruise movie that much since the first Mission Impossible.

22 Jump Street was amusing, but not that memorable.  It was basically Van Wilder and The Naked Gun thrown in a blender.

No, I agree in many regards.  Like I said, it's his most fully-formed action hero role since Cole Trickle or Maverick.  The thing about Tomorrow's ending is that it doesn't make any sense (and [spoiler]it's a cheat so we can have a happy ending rather than a grim ending, or a hellishly bleak ending[/spoiler]).  The ending of Oblivion makes all kinds of sense, as long as you assume the Tet is a little bit stupid, which I will concede you have to do to enjoy the movie at all.  [spoiler]It's a bittersweet ending for Oblivion--our hero dies, but Olga Kurylenko and Tom Cruise 52 can be happy.  That said, we ain't talking about Moon levels of character development or tear-jerking here.[/spoiler]

Battlefield Earth is indeed very, very bad.  It's "underrated" solely if "underrated" means it's not the very worst film of all time, which I agree is somewhat hyperbolic.  Terl's funny.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2014, 06:05:34 PM
I read the book.

I've noticed you read a whole lot of shit.  It's sorta like a melting pot of 11B's reading list one moment, Timmay's alt-hist sci-fi adolescent whackfests the next.  Don't see how you can manage that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2014, 06:12:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2014, 06:05:34 PM
I read the book.

I've noticed you read a whole lot of shit.  It's sorta like a melting pot of 11B's reading list one moment, Timmay's alt-hist sci-fi adolescent whackfests the next.  Don't see how you can manage that.

It was High School. It was read sci-fi or actually work.

CountDeMoney

I suggest more Steinbeck in your diet.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2014, 05:59:49 PM
Yi, unless you're stoned, you and your frontal lobe won't be able to last those 15 minutes.  It's that fucking bad.

I've seen maybe 70% of it.  Definitely merits 15 minutes for intellectual curiosity.

Ed Anger

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2014, 05:59:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2014, 03:39:04 PM

No shit, man. 

From Cracked--

QuoteBattlefield Earth was shopped around Hollywood for years with no takers. Studios worried that the negative public perception of Scientology might affect the movie's gross. A brave studio called Franchise Pictures finally brought the story to life starring Scientologist and Sweathog John Travolta as a dictator named Terl who exhibits a taste for every kind of scenery. Upon its release Battlefield Earth promptly made no money. Franchise Pictures, who learned all the wrong lessons from The Producers, overestimated the film's budget by about 37 million and ended up being sued into oblivion. That the film was lambasted by critics is an understatement.

Today, it is considered by many to be one of the worst films of all time. However, Battlefield Earth retains a cult following among people who love the movie because Tom Cruise tells them they do, as well as a small group of devotees who love it precisely because it is so fucking terrible.

I suppose I fall into the latter group. It is an extremely stupid film. Some parts are just horrible, the scenes with the travolta aliens and the brain washing and sickness inducing camera angles.
But it is a film that kept me watching the whole way through. There is entertainment to be had in its sheer idiocy.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

How many atomic bombs does it take to create life ex nihilo?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)