News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I also finally watched Behind the Candelabra. Talking about horror probably reminded me of Rob Lowe.

Very well made and extraordinarily unselfconscious performance by Michael Douglas.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Agreed.  Couldn't have been easy to do that role.  You could see Matt Damon was noticeably more uncomfortable in his role.

Queequeg

I don't know if that's a fault with his performance.  He's Joe Gillis.  He's supposed to be uncomfortable. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I mean Douglas campaigned hard for that role.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

The General (1926)

The General is in the public domain, and there are many prints of dubious quality out there.  The one I saw wasn't too awful, but the score was just classical pieces which had no relation to the action on screen.  It had an introductory title card, which upon reading my wife said: "A light-hearted Civil War comedy?  Are there many of those?"

The film has such a simple structure (in essence it's two chases) but what a comic masterpiece.  Buster Keaton put far more effort into the film than any sane person would; going so far as to count out the number of grains of gunpowder with tweezers so the canon would fire exactly right.  The results pay off, though.  Interestingly it was a critical and commercial failure when it was first released.  It (and Buster Keaton) were re-discovered in the 1950s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

It was probably too intense for the sensibilities of the time.  They hadn't yet been exposed to Die Hard, so how could they contextualize it On a Train?

I have the Kino blu-ray that I borrowed/reclaimed from my dad. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
I mean Douglas campaigned hard for that role.
That was one of the best movies I saw last year, pretty easily.  I loved it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2014, 08:13:05 PM
Agreed.  Couldn't have been easy to do that role.  You could see Matt Damon was noticeably more uncomfortable in his role.
Interesting. I didn't get that vibe from Matt Damon.

Though I think Rob Lowe steals it. Doing that much with so little is admirable.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

I really should see that and Tangled, I hear they're great, but they usually dub animated movies in Korean here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2014, 09:43:12 AM
Interesting. I didn't get that vibe from Matt Damon.

In particular during the tongue wrestling scenes.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on March 13, 2014, 09:24:24 AM
It was probably too intense for the sensibilities of the time.  They hadn't yet been exposed to Die Hard, so how could they contextualize it On a Train?

:lol:

I was thinking it was like Speed when I was watching it, in that it wastes almost no time in getting to the action (and that Keanu Reeves displays about the same range of emotion as the Great Stone Face.)  Die Hard is a better analogy.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2014, 09:48:54 AM
Apparently Frozen is gay propaganda. :hmm:

http://news.yahoo.com/frozen-gay-conspiracy-theory-094500946--politics.html

What about Pinocchio - a "wooden" boy who longs to become "real", and who suffers an embarrasing "erection" every time he tells a 'lie'? Gay comming-out tale!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

The last episode of the wonderful Inside No. 9, 'The Harrowing':
Let's bomb Russia!

Beenherebefore

A friend of mine played on the soundtrack for "Frozen". She's a folk music horn player, and played the ancient ram's horn.
If only she'd known she would be promoting gaydom and sex with animals.  :(

I fell in love with the American version of "Shameless". It's not just good drama, it's decent therapy.

Finishing "True Detective" was a bit sad, and some of the stuff in the last episode had a distinct "Thanksgiving at the Lettows" feeling. Still, a huge thumbs up for it. Well worth my time.
The artist formerly known as Norgy