News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I thought him not using his powers was a good thing. He's thrown back to basics, kind of like he was in the Afghan cave and has to return to square one without his lab and readily available resources.

I thought the panic attacks he suffered following the Avengers events were a very good addition to his character.

And they get props for including a child character and not make it suck. Normally a tacked on kid is a sign of doom in any franchise.

[spoiler]Agreed on the villain. Was I prepped for an Iron Man vs. Mandarin beatdown? Hell yeah. Did I enjoy what they did instead? Hell yeah, and I nearly pissed myself laughing at the reveal. The real villain could have had a bit more depth, and also more reflection from Tony Stark, because in a way he created the villain by his dickish behavior in the past which is not really brought up.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2014, 07:36:00 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2014, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2014, 07:10:29 PM
Spring Breakers has popped up in several "Best of 2013" lists. I don't think it completely works, but it's an interesting film. Plus it has hot drunken chicks in bikini.

Indeed.  Part of the reason why I needed to watch it--it's one of the last American "important" narrative films of 2013 that I hadn't already caught.  The remaining two are the Coens' Inside Llewyn Davis, All Is Lost with Robert Redford, and arguably (in terms of importance, but it was a big movie) Prisoners, which is about Wolverine beating up a retarded guy.

Did you find SB as abhorrently right-wing as I did?

If you mean as a celebration of a right wing fantasy of gun toting chicks going on a spree, I don't think the film has to be read that way. I found it more a reductio ad absurdum of what a Spring Break is, an extreme vision of the disconnect between what youth seek as "life" and what society has established for them (school).

I think it's totally about that, too; although the disconnect seems minimal, given that Spring Break is drinking and fucking on the beach, whereas Korine's version of college is drinking and fucking inland.

Plus, they're never presented (other than Faith) as anything but total monsters, and there's a moralizing shrillness (along with some deliberate sexism and negligent racism) that is impossible for me to ignore.  And bear in mind, this is the guy who wrote Kids.

Honestly, if Faith were written out of the movie entirely, it'd have played so much better.  She's the mechanism by which Korine's program becomes so blindingly apparent and obnoxious.

P.S. the best part of Iron Man the Third was the Westworld joke.  All downhill from there, except maybe the Air Force One rescue.  That was neat.

Would You Rather (2012 jerks/2013 people like you and I)

QuoteA thrilling torture movie with Gothic flavor, Would You Rather is admittedly not made with true expertise.  But what is does have is a powerfully twisted performance from one of our finest living actors—one Jeffrey Combs—and through sheer scenario tells a compellingly sordid little tale of choices, their consequences, and... America?

A hunger game

B+

Like 1700, 1800 words.  :blurgh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

When did they introduce the panic attack thing?  Was that in Deux, or in the first 15 minutes of the Trois that I missed?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2014, 05:49:03 AM
When did they introduce the panic attack thing?  Was that in Deux, or in the first 15 minutes of the Trois that I missed?

Stark's panic attacks are introduced in 3, as a result of the ending of Avengers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Final episode of the geezer show. The show was good, but I liked The Pacific a bit more.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

4th episode of 'Arvingerne', it's very good. Jesper Christensen. :wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Guess I should finish season one then.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

OK fine.  Guess I need to watch this show.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Btw, that one shot of Mikkelsen is weird where half his face isn't in the focal plane (?).  Can you even do that?

Btw btw, more people die in every episode of this show than there are weirdo murders in America every year, don't they? :lol:
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

It's a horror tv show.  The psychology is actually pretty interesting, but yeah there's like a H.H. Holmes every week or so. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

In case I seem to be criticizing, no, that's a selling point.
Kinemalogue

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on January 19, 2014, 05:54:25 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2014, 05:49:03 AM

Stark's panic attacks are introduced in 3, as a result of the ending of Avengers.
Bad shawarma? :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2014, 02:42:40 PM
Btw btw, more people die in every episode of this show than there are weirdo murders in America every year, don't they? :lol:

I'm sure there are enough to keep a couple FBI agents busy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

In the trailer, I saw a room with a Nicaraguan death squad's worth of corpses.
Kinemalogue