News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 07, 2013, 04:08:53 AM

Stupid because it goes against "canon" or do you think that's stupid on its own merits?

Both, but mainly merits. I'm willing to let filmakers take liberties
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Ah, the moral high horse. Because he can save someone, he has a duty to, regardless of the cost to himself.

I think the advice was sensible, considering papa Kent had no idea the true extent of Clark's power. A lesser Superman could easily end up in a metal cage or a laboratory table.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 07, 2013, 02:04:56 PM
Ah, the moral high horse. Because he can save someone, he has a duty to, regardless of the cost to himself.

I think the advice was sensible, considering papa Kent had no idea the true extent of Clark's power. A lesser Superman could easily end up in a metal cage or a laboratory table.

If he were real then you would have a case here. But superman isn't real. He's an ideal to strive for not tainted by our hard choices and the reality of eternally having to choose between two evils. When superman has to choose between saving lois and saving metropoplis he makes the right choice and saves metropolis; but, because he is superman he can save both, but he saves the city first. His true superpower is moral clarity which due to his superpowers he can excercize without fear of the consequences to himself.

Pa Kent teaches Clark to be a good man first and foremost. Costners Pa Kent doesn't. I really hope Costner is back in "The Worlds Finest" or "Batman vs Superman" or "Superman vs Batman" or whatever they call the next movie to bring Clark some wisdom other than "do what I say not what I do" and "look out for nr 1 always"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Watched most of Coal Miner's Daughter late last night.  Sissy Spacek looked really, really good I thought.

The movie becomes a lot less interesting at the point when she stops being the up and coming earnest singer in the yoked shirts, fringed skirts and cowboy hats and transitions into the giant haired sequined Vegas act.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on December 07, 2013, 03:55:27 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
Just saw Superman.

Pretty good.  Lots of bad things, very predictable, but overall, pretty good.
Still, a very good movie, despite these minor points.

Seriously, you missed [spoiler]

• The Tornado Scene
  • Jonathan Kent telling Clark to let innocents die if it's good for Clark
[/spoiler]

How can you make a list of stupid shit and miss that?
I could understand that.  The father wants to protect his son, even if that means not doing the "right" thing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Yes while Seedy was talking about the South Korean film.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

So there's more than one.  Harumph.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2013, 12:09:03 AM
So there's more than one.  Harumph.

You watched the better one, the other one is based on book by the writer of the sparkly Twilight Vampires.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

And directed and written for the screen by the director of Gattaca and Lord of War and the writer of The Truman Show.  Go fucking figure.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Trying to watch Frances Ha without tearing my eyes out.  Failing. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I want to take a hammer to this movie's face.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

This is what I am doing to this movie in my head.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

I'm perversely fascinated by the intensity of my negative reaction.  There's a lot of feeling coming up.