News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Phillip V on September 20, 2013, 09:03:06 PM
I enjoyed 2013's The Great Gatsby, but it seemed a bit compressed. 2 hours is too short to get in all that backstory, emotion, and personalities.

You know what Roger Ebert said about movies that seemed too short. :)

Glad you liked it.  It's still my second favorite movie of the year (and was my first till I revisited Pain & Gain, which I loved then but has only grown in my estimation; cue katmai being a close-minded philistine).

I watched The Family.  Dull, predictable, not quite bad, but really, really not worth seeing.  The interesting ideas it has are woefully underdeveloped.  I am beyond sick of Robert De Niro's wise guy routine.  C+

Full write-up: Telegraph for Robert De Niro: stop
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

The World'd End- I came into this knowing absolutely nothing of what it was about, only that it was the third of Wright/Pegg's cornetto films. The sudden turn from realism to sci-fi therefore was a humerous surprise. It was pretty good. Lots of funny moments. I'd rank it second, better than Hott Fuzz but not as good as Shaun of the Dead.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

If you knew it was the third Cornetto movie, how was the turn a surprise? :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Hot fuzz doesn't really do such a turn and With Shaun of the dad it wasn't so much a sudden turn as what things were leading up to. Worlds end was working fine as it was chugging along for a while before things went sci fi which did just seem to come out of nowhere
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Fair enough.  That's one of the reasons I didn't like it, personally.  I guess tastes differ. :)
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Just watched the second half of Luc Besson's Jean d'Arc flic, which I had never seen before.  Trippy.

Bold choice casting a Jew as the devil.

Tonitrus

Ugh.  When I had ATT back in Cali, I could customize my cable channel lineup with ease online. 

Comcast has me chat-rooming with some flunkie.  :bleeding:

Grey Fox

DO you have a la carte? Is a la carte available?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Nah, you can just adjust which bundles you have.

Ideologue

I accidentally saw the trailer for the Michael J. Fox Show the other day, but I have to admit it got my interest piqued.  Any show that's 85% Parkinson's jokes is, well, it's different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXl-krlLoxg
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

No Time for Sergeants.

Any who doesn't like this classic is a homosexual.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Saw Ghost Rider. The bad guy reminds me of Ed: he makes Satan look like a nice guy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

That is the sweetest thing anybody has said about me.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2013, 04:40:30 PM
No Time for Sergeants.

Any who doesn't like this classic is a homosexual.

That movie is hilarious on so many levels.  Never mind the scene with Don Knotts, what got me was how he made all the toilets salute.

Phillip V

Quote from: Scipio on September 14, 2013, 04:56:54 PM
Finally watched Star Trek Into Darkness.  Thought it was better than the reboot, frankly.  Largely because I didn't care for revengey Romulan BS.
Watched it today. Agree. I actually empathized with the characters this time; even cried when someone "died" near the end.