News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

[spoiler]I assumed he was ready to give himself up, but the interview on tv changed his mind.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 23, 2013, 08:42:01 AM
[spoiler]I assumed he was ready to give himself up, but the interview on tv changed his mind.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
And honestly, that's what it's all about, even before the cancer and the cooking.  The meth was always incidental;  Walter sees Gray Matter, he sees what his life could've been, instead of what it became:  an unfulfilled career, an unhappy marriage, a Timmay for a son, a hot dog bully of a brother-in-law...Heisenberg isn't just Walter's alter-ego, he is who he always wanted to be and should've been.  Heisenberg is Walt's Tyler Durden.[/spoiler]

Ideologue

Man, I was dangerously close to rolling over them spoilers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2013, 08:36:54 AM
Looks like Walt just [spoiler]added Gray Matter Technologies to the final tab list.  Good.

Although, I don't understand why he gave away his location to the DEA, unless he just wanted to let them think he wasn't going back to New Mexico.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] :huh:  Because he was ready to give it up.  He was done, spent, worthless...and then he saw the interview at the last second and decided he had to at least exact some sort of revenge or finish one last task.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2013, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 23, 2013, 08:42:01 AM

[spoiler]
And honestly, that's what it's all about, even before the cancer and the cooking.  The meth was always incidental;  Walter sees Gray Matter, he sees what his life could've been, instead of what it became:  an unfulfilled career, an unhappy marriage, a Timmay for a son, a hot dog bully of a brother-in-law...Heisenberg isn't just Walter's alter-ego, he is who he always wanted to be and should've been.  Heisenberg is Walt's Tyler Durden.[/spoiler]

That does tie into my theory on one reason why Breaking Bad has been so enormously popular.  [spoiler]It's the story of an emasculated white Boomer slipping from the middle class, who retakes power and murders all the brown people, retirees, and Millennials who oppose him.

Also, I suppose, because of extremely good acting, character work, dialogue, and plotting. :P

Anyway, you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars and you get a shack with no Internet that you can't leave?  Circumstances dictate a lot, but hardly awesome.  Jesus.

And it's looking like I was wrong about him turning around on Jesse.  Bummer.  Still, can't wait to see how it ends up.

P.S. Why do you want the Gray Matter people to die?  WTF did they do, other than offer a cancer man free money and, presumably, create a company that still does things in America?  Was it the reference to shareholder value?[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, and was [spoiler]Walt offering $10,000 to Robert Forster the saddest shit in the world, or what?  Plus, you'd think Flynn could have, like, a little perspective.  Even assuming that you believe that Walt killed him, your Uncle Hank was trying to put your dad under the jail.  In any event, it's not like it's a huge tragedy when a GS-13 whose vast prosperity is built on destroying that of others' dies by the same sword he's lived by.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue

Sophie Scholl

Damned BBC America cancelled Copper.  I am not pleased. :mad:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

[spoiler]yeah...I didn't get the interview and what ticked him off about it. Is it that they're downplaying his role in it so much?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Watching the first episode of 'Broen' (The Bridge), Danish/Swedish crime goodness.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

I've been watching the Amerexican remake.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2013, 11:27:33 AM[spoiler]

That does tie into my theory on one reason why Breaking Bad has been so enormously popular.  [spoiler]It's the story of an emasculated white Boomer slipping from the middle class, who retakes power and murders all the brown people, retirees, and Millennials who oppose him.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Yeah, please dispense with the macro-societal "Falling Down" view, please.  It's a cop-out of a theory.  And it sucks.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]P.S. Why do you want the Gray Matter people to die?  WTF did they do, other than offer a cancer man free money and, presumably, create a company that still does things in America?  Was it the reference to shareholder value?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
#1, it goes back to being talked into selling his share in the company to Elliot, when Elliot knew exactly what it was worth, and what Walter had provided to the company.
#2, if you recall the flashback scene in Episode 3, it was the future Mrs. Schwartz that was Walt's lab partner in the crystallization breakthrough at the chalkboard.  Not only was that not the professional success he never had, that was the wife he never had.
#3, the sheer condescension at the birthday party as well as the offer to pay for the cancer treatments, from the very people that profited from his accomplishments, is especially raw.
#4, the complete erasure of Walter from the history of Gray Matter, the company he helped found with his college buddies and a cup of Ramen noodles.
#5, remember the "sell out" scene with Jesse, when they were deciding on selling the precusor to Declan for a flat $5 million?  That all summed it up right there.

Fuck 'em.  Way I see it, Gray Matter gets fucking saved for last.[/spoiler]

Savonarola

The Chess Player (1927)

This is a French film set in Poland shortly after the partition (and made shortly after the re-creation of Poland.)  The film concerns Jan Protagoniski, a Polish Nobleman and Ivan Bestovitch Friendov a Russian noble in a Polish-Russian army unit.  Jan is the greatest chess player in all of Poland he's the only one able to figure out how the horses work.  Both Jan and Ivan love Sophie, the step daughter of Baron Kemplen.  Baron Kemplen is an inventor who makes all sorts of mechanical models of people.

The Poles are doing the things they love doing throwing Jews down the well, singing patriotic anthems, and dancing the polka.  Unfortunately the Russians do the things they love as well, shooting and raping Poles.  A brawl breaks out in the barracks this leads to a revolt, led by Jan; but the Polish soldiers are defeated because there are no tanks for their cavalry to charge.  The revolt is brutally put down and the Poles immediately start collaborating.    Jan survives, but is in great peril as Catherine the great has put a price on his head of two whole bags of beets.

Baron Kemplen comes up with an ingenious plan to smuggle Jan out of the country; he dresses him up as a chess playing automaton.  The "Automaton" defeats all Polish challengers at chess to the surprise of no one; as there are chickens who managed that feat.  Catherine the Great invites the automaton to St. Petersburg where hilarity ensues.

The film is a little over-long and over-complicated, but the battle scenes are spectacular.  As with any film that involves Poland, half a dozen Polack jokes immediately spring to mind, if one favors that sort of puerile humor.  I, for one, do not.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive