News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

[spoiler]I've read somewhere that all the yelling is done away from the baby's presence, they use a doll for those scenes.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2013, 04:57:38 PM
[spoiler]Anyway, I don't understand why Uncle Heinz from the Panzerarmee did what he did.  It seems like it would only serve to make Walt angry, while failing to neutralize him even to the extent he can't, well, go out and buy machine guns (and tracer ammunition, such as might ignite fires in, say, a vehicle convoy, or a meth lab).  I don't get that at all.  Is it the White Power code or something?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The one thing white supremacist jail gangs hate more than Jews and blacks are cops.  All those assholes have done more time on the inside than the outside.  There was absolutely no way Hank was getting out of there, regardless of how effective Walt could've been with Uncle Jackboot, or whatever deal he could've made for Hank's life.  One Fed dead, and another wounded?  No way there was a way out for that. 

And you knew Hank wasn't going to beg.  Hank's final line to Walt was great, as was his to Jack.  Although, if it were me, I'd have probably been a bit more pointed in my comments to Der Furor right before I bought it.  :lol:  Fucking white supremacist fucks.[/spoiler]

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2013, 07:33:16 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2013, 04:57:38 PM
[spoiler]Anyway, I don't understand why Uncle Heinz from the Panzerarmee did what he did.  It seems like it would only serve to make Walt angry, while failing to neutralize him even to the extent he can't, well, go out and buy machine guns (and tracer ammunition, such as might ignite fires in, say, a vehicle convoy, or a meth lab).  I don't get that at all.  Is it the White Power code or something?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The one thing white supremacist jail gangs hate more than Jews and blacks are cops.  All those assholes have done more time on the inside than the outside.  There was absolutely no way Hank was getting out of there, regardless of how effective Walt could've been with Uncle Jackboot, or whatever deal he could've made for Hank's life.  One Fed dead, and another wounded?  No way there was a way out for that. 

And you knew Hank wasn't going to beg.  Hank's final line to Walt was great, as was his to Jack.  Although, if it were me, I'd have probably been a bit more pointed in my comments to Der Furor right before I bought it.  :lol:  Fucking white supremacist fucks.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think Ide was talking more along the lines of why leave Walt alive too...the "concern for my nephew" was kinda of a non-sequiter.  Aryan nation family values? LOLWUT[/spoiler]

Ideologue

[spoiler]Exactamundo.  Why hurt him if you're not going to finish him off?  That has not, historically, worked out well for Walt's enemies.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2013, 07:41:50 PM
[spoiler]Exactamundo.  Why hurt him if you're not going to finish him off?  That has not, historically, worked out well for Walt's enemies.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And they just scored $69 million...who needs to cook meth anymore or work as assassins for hire?  That's enough to retire to the Fourth Reich Rest Home for the whole lot of them.[/spoiler]

Ideologue

[spoiler]I guess one of the themes of the show is that no one is ever satisfied.  Or, rather, no one who has the inner drive to get into the position that Walt (or Gus) are in, is ever satisfied.  The thing about Jack is we know so little about the dude.  He's not obviously a major criminal player.  He has no preexisting drug network.  He just lucked into it, and he just happens to have a lot of contacts in prison and a (smallish) gang of--man, I don't know if I'd call them assassins, they seem like average southwesterners to me.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 16, 2013, 07:40:21 PM
[spoiler]I think Ide was talking more along the lines of why leave Walt alive too...the "concern for my nephew" was kinda of a non-sequiter.  Aryan nation family values? LOLWUT[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

I didn't see anything illogical about letting Walt live, giving him a barrel and calling it even after making sure he got assurances from Walt.  They're not afraid of him, and they don't even care.  After all, they're the ones that arranged the hits in prison for him.  They're the ones that saved his ass from the Feds.  And he's the one that just let them hit the PowerBall.  As far as they see it, he's just a chemist.  So he killed Gus with a bomb, big fucking deal.  We're neo-Nazis:  we kill shit up close, and we don't give a fuck who knows it.

And yeah, jail gangs have a code;  white supremacists aren't that far removed from bikers in that respect, and family actually is that important:  they're the only ones they can actually trust.  I could totally see Uncle Jack giving Walt a barrel and making sure we're all cool with this with a handshake. 

Besides, Jack was ready to whack Walt right there with that "there won't be a problem about this, will there" statement.  He doesn't fear Walt at all.[/spoiler]

Phillip V

Quote from: Liep on September 16, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 15, 2013, 08:12:37 PM
Any good Scarlett Johansson movies after 'Lost In Translation' and 'Girl With a Pearl Earing'?

The Prestige is one of the best movies post-2000 and Nolan's best. Vicky Cristina Barcelona is also good.

EDIT: Match Point is another Woody Allen/Scarlett film worth watching.

Thanks, I have those now and will watch this week. I hope there is not too much focus on Johansson being sex goddess. I enjoy Pearl and Translation films because the sex with her doesn't happen even though it might. Maybe her sexiness has now limited the acting roles open to her?

Ideologue

In The Prestige she is used as a sexual weapon.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

The Fighter.  Marky Mark has reportedly been trying to make this movie for 10 years.  A little sad that it ended up on FXM.

Eddie Teach

Saw the pilot of Sleepy Hollow. I liked it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Well well well--look who just showed up as Gibb's defense attorney on NCIS.

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2013, 05:54:25 AM
Saw the pilot of Sleepy Hollow. I liked it.
It's an ossum train wreck of a show.  I love it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Finally wrote up Insidious 2.  It has some real problems, and it is less a horror film than something else, but it's fun, and it's got one really great idea to plays with that was a lot of fun to see, so much so that it should have been the whole movie.  Patrick Wilson is always great.  I liked it slightly more than James Wan's other movie, The Conjuring, from slightly earlier in the year.  B

Busting makes me feel good, but probably displeases my mom
Kinemalogue