News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

South Africa

Started by Lettow77, October 27, 2009, 07:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

I have been wrapped up in the boers lately. There is not much literature to read on the subject, but my mind dwells upon them even so.

I wonder if they will ever achieve a volkstaat in the northern cape? Will the ANC really drive the country into the ground in a sucession of one-party state elections, and the afrikaners lie helpless? The AWB recently reinstated, but I cannot imagine that is the way forward.

I was just wondering what languish thought, although I can imagine.

Edit: I have been mucking about reading about afrikaner calvinism alot. Protestantism uncorrupted by the enlightenment is weird to think about. I need to do something, religiously. I feel it is an indefensible lapse in my identity as a Southerner to not profess a protestant faith, even if I cannot embrace the tenets as earnestly as I should.  I am afraid, however, that if I believe in Christianity, I will believe in it very much, and it could distract me from politics too much.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Larch

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 27, 2009, 07:04:17 AMThe AWB recently reinstated, but I cannot imagine that is the way forward.

Yeah, because having this kind of guys around is really comforting.

QuoteProtestantism uncorrupted by the enlightenment is weird to think about.

The wording "uncorrupted by the enlightement" sends shivers down my spine. Do they still burn witches?

QuoteI am afraid, however, that if I believe in Christianity, I will believe in it very much, and it could distract me from politics too much.

Because clearly you're making leaps and bounds in your political career, of course.

Neil

The Boers are extinct as a meaningful political force.  They deserve no less, for having resisted the great civilizing force of Britain.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2009, 07:26:41 AM
The wording "uncorrupted by the enlightement" sends shivers down my spine. Do they still burn witches?
Calvinism "uncorrupted by the Enlightenment" is the Taliban, barring a few disagreements about terminology.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2009, 07:26:41 AM

Yeah, because having this kind of guys around is really comforting.

You got to admire their subtlety.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Hair Club for Men could do some brisk business in South Africa.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 27, 2009, 07:04:17 AM
I wonder if they will ever achieve a volkstaat in the northern cape?

Never.  Their only chance was when they were still in power.  They should have relocated every white to the Western Cape where they would have been a majority and created an African Singapore.  Now they should just prepare themselves for the inevitable genocide.

Josquius

Most Afrikaans speakers look like this these days.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

My boss just got back from a 10-day business/vacation trip to South Africa.  She was amazed by "how modern" it is & that you could drink the water.  I suspect she didn't know much about the country before visiting.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

South Africa is an exercise in hope followed by disappointment and wasted potential. It's best not to think about it at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

That picture is a good argument against race mixing.

OTOH:

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Wow Lettow.  You're not even trying to pretend your admiration for the south has anything to do with "heritage" or "states rights" anymore.  It really is all about race with you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2009, 12:28:05 PM
That picture is a good argument against race mixing.

OTOH:

It is a bit isn't it.

Those women are mixed race? They look very white to me.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2009, 01:15:06 PM

Yep. Mariah is black/white mix and Shakira is hispanic/Arab.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2009, 01:15:06 PM

The last one is Spanish, Italian, and Lebanese.