News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2009, 08:38:49 AMNow that I think I never played either of those. They were good? :s
I took them to just be the old games but on a different, smaller map.
Yeah, especially the Spanish campaign.  It had a very different feel from vanilla MTW2.  For example, since it started in 1519, it was possible to get Spanish musketeer regiments (though you need a bunch of prerequisite buildings and they're expensive) and cannon.  Your colonial armies tend to consist of a core of elite conquistator units (both mounted and foot), maybe a musketeer unit, and then HORDES of cheap, shitty native auxiliaries.  Most of the field battles start with the natives clubbing each other to death, and then you use the Spaniards decisively to rout the weakened enemy armies.

Extremely rapid conquest of Mexico is possible since you have cannons and the natives tend to have rather primitive fortifications, but you will almost always be overwhelmingly outnumbered on every front, so it can be a bit of a challenge to deploy your elite (i.e. Spanish) forces strategically to protect your holdings, since not only are there large enemy field armies but also you tend to have lots of revolts until you start Catholicizing your conquests.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2009, 05:52:11 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2009, 09:51:48 AM
IMO, Total War is made for Medieval period.  I'm still wasting most of my free time playing M2TW with Stainless Steel 6.2 beta mod.  I think this type of game doesn't work well with combat that is almost 100% ranged.

What does that mod do?
I've been playing it for so long that I don't even remember how it's different from vanilla.  I think the basic idea of the mod is to keep the historical flavor of the game unchanged, but to make it actually work well.

Vince

Empire TW is 50% off on Steam so I figured what the hell and bought a copy.  Worse comes to worse I can go back to playing MTW2 with Sicilian Vespers Mod.

Caliga

Quote from: Vince on June 20, 2009, 02:23:40 PM
Empire TW is 50% off on Steam so I figured what the hell and bought a copy.  Worse comes to worse I can go back to playing MTW2 with Sicilian Vespers Mod.
O RLY?  I wonder how long that promo is running... :shifty:

Vince

Quote from: Caliga on June 20, 2009, 04:11:05 PM
Quote from: Vince on June 20, 2009, 02:23:40 PM
O RLY?  I wonder how long that promo is running... :shifty:

Weekend only.

Ed Anger

And Steam has a habit of ending that shit early. So if you want it Cal, I'd grab it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 20, 2009, 04:34:15 PM
And Steam has a habit of ending that shit early. So if you want it Cal, I'd grab it.
Downloading now.  In eight hours ( :bleeding: ), I shall embark on my quest to keep the Colonies part of the Empire.  :bowler:

Syt

Love your sig. Bradbury's da man. :thumbsup:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on June 20, 2009, 07:42:08 PM
Downloading now.  In eight hours ( :bleeding: ), I shall embark on my quest to keep the Colonies part of the Empire.  :bowler:
wait for the new patch on Monday to start your game.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Vince

Well I see the Total War tradition of the entire world declaring war on me by turn 5 for no damn reason is still alive and well. :bleeding:

viper37

Quote from: Vince on June 21, 2009, 07:55:39 AM
Well I see the Total War tradition of the entire world declaring war on me by turn 5 for no damn reason is still alive and well. :bleeding:
It wasn't like that before the last patch, and hopefully, it won't be after this one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Vince

Well I just assumed everyone hated me and went to war with me because I was playing as the French.  However, another game as the Netherlands confirmed it.

That patch is being released today, right?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Vince on June 22, 2009, 09:06:32 AM
That patch is being released today, right?

Downloading right now for me.

Caliga

I finished the first Episode in the "Road to Independence" campaign yesterday.  I had to mess around with gfx settings quite a bit to get the game to run smoothly, but once it does the graphics are really nice.

The Episode was a complete joke, but I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be hard since it's essentially a tutorial.  One weird thing I kept noticing in the battles was, if I'd scroll to an area of the battlefield I wasn't earlier paying attention, alot of my regiments would be just standing there, facing AWAY from the Indians shooting arrows at them.  In such cases it seemed like I had to command them to attack several times before it 'stuck'.   At one point (in the final battle of the episode) I just gave up and ordered them to charge and fight melee, which they did do correctly. :blink:

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2009, 11:46:17 PM
Love your sig. Bradbury's da man. :thumbsup:

"Video games are a waste of time for men with nothing else to do. Real brains don't do that. On occasion? Sure. As relaxation? Great. But not full time— And a lot of people are doing that. And while they're doing that, I'll go ahead and write another novel."
-Ray Bradbury, Salon.com (29 August 2001)

:(