News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2009, 11:16:10 AM
I seem to recall with this company they didn't produce alot of patches so I wonder if it ever will.
They are not Stardock, nor Paradox, so yes. Perhaps they'll release a patch, like Napoleon's Invasion, which will have some redeeming features.

Razgovory

I just remember that they had a policy of like 2 patches for a game.  The result is that many issues were left unfixed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

It is a shame.  Total War are great games, but they're undone by absolutely shitty quality control. 

DGuller

BTW, how does the game run on Core 7 processors?  I know that MTW actually ran worse on my new rig than it did on my old one, because MTW doesn't have multi-threading support.

MadBurgerMaker

The last patch they released was on June 22 (with a small hotfix on July 1 because they broke something).  The last "real" patch update they released was on July 29.  It said:

QuoteHello everyone,

As some of you have noticed, this thread no longer updates daily. This is not because we going to stop communicating with you, but that with daily updates many were smaller and didn't always tell you much. By switching to updating whenever we have more substantial news we ensure that you will hear about what you care about every time there is an update posted in this thread.

Below is a list of some recent fixes and improvements:

- Fix for some towns in regions still giving bonuses to income when damaged for raiding.
- Improvements to siege AI in how it approaches and assaults walls.
- Units with fire by rank now fire correctly when behind walls.
- Bug with fort cannon targeting fixed, making them much more accurate.
- Many fixes to sound bugs improving overall sound across the game.
- Fixed issue with default battle preference not being saved.
- Fix to include protectorate owned regions in explicitly-specified victory condition regions.
- Various crash fixes.
- Fixes to various group formations to improve formations used by player/AI.
- Fix for routing unit cards losing faction colour.
- Further improvements to AI naval invasions, diplomacy and war behaviour.

Please note these are not all the fixes we have done recently, just a highlight list as it were.

And some more balance changes that will be in the next downloadable update:

- There is now a cap on how many of some units you can take in MP. Examples of such units are Ferguson Rifles, many of the Elite Units of the West, Black Watch etc.
- Dragoons are available from higher building levels and now have fire by rank to allow them to better fulfil the role of mobile infantry.
- Light Dragoons have gained longer range guns to allow them to skirmish better.
- Reworked cavalry costs to better reflect their value on the battlefield.
- Increase in cost to Windbusche Jaegers and Ferguson Rifles.

There was one previously talking about how they're going to make some big changes to the naval portion as well. 

I say "real" because yesterday, they said this:

QuoteHi guys,

Please excuse our radio silence for the past couple of weeks. Things have been incredibly busy in The Creative Assembly offices. While I cannot elaborate too much at the moment, I can confirm that CA will be in attendance at the Games Convention in Cologne, Germany next week and we have an announcement to make. All will be revealed soon so stay tuned....

Have a fantastic weekend,

Mark O'Connell
(aka SenseiTW)

:rolleyes:

And no, CA doesn't completely fix their games.  Guys like Darth Vader eventually have to do that for them.

Quote from: DGullerBTW, how does the game run on Core 7 processors?  I know that MTW actually ran worse on my new rig than it did on my old one, because MTW doesn't have multi-threading support.

They introduced support for multiple cores in one of the patches, but IIRC, there are problems with it, and it is causing CTDs.

Razgovory

I had a feeling they were going to put those Austrian air guns in.  It was such a silly and minor historical thing they had to didn't they?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Cecil

One day I might actually play this again. Weird how they managed to fubar this one up so bad. Think they would have learned a few things from all their other games by now. Ofc the huge population of "OMG I wanna see arms getting chopped off" has a tendency to skew their priorities a bit. :(

Razgovory

Meh had really long load times on the demo.

Lucidor

The demo didn't quite win me over, like Rome and Medieval 2 demos did, and I waited for people to tell me what to think about the full release, which made me not get the game at all.

DGuller

Quote from: Lucidor on August 15, 2009, 04:28:19 PM
The demo didn't quite win me over, like Rome and Medieval 2 demos did, and I waited for people to tell me what to think about the full release, which made me not get the game at all.
Exactly.  The demo was terrible, and I couldn't even figure out how to move my troops in one of the battles.  Maybe the fault was mine for being thick, but then again, when you're trying to win over potential customers, you should make the process of moving troops crystal clear.  Other than that, the combat itself was just unappealing, ranged combat by itself doesn't work well with Total War engine.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2009, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: Lucidor on August 15, 2009, 04:28:19 PM
Exactly.  The demo was terrible, and I couldn't even figure out how to move my troops in one of the battles.  Maybe the fault was mine for being thick, but then again, when you're trying to win over potential customers, you should make the process of moving troops crystal clear.  Other than that, the combat itself was just unappealing, ranged combat by itself doesn't work well with Total War engine.

How much do you weigh?

DGuller

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.