Palin's Insanity Deepends, Chapter....I lost count

Started by Queequeg, July 26, 2009, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:59:40 PM
I wonder if Palin is becoming the lefts red herring for Obamas rather epic failure to get anything done so far?
He's been president for less than a year and he's managed to dramatically improve our image abroad while keeping most of the (relatively sane) later Bush II initiatives.  He's not God.  I find it amusing that while everyone here suggested that I'd be gravely disappointed by Obama in office, I appear to be one of the few people on this board willing to give him some time to get into his stride. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 29, 2009, 01:51:33 PM
What about me?
IIRC your accent is stronger than his, but still not that strong.  Going by my memory, here's the order:

Wags
Tim
KRonn

in descending order of strength of Boston accent.
I'm from Row Di'land.  :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 29, 2009, 01:51:33 PM
What about me?
IIRC your accent is stronger than his, but still not that strong.  Going by my memory, here's the order:

Wags
Tim
KRonn

in descending order of strength of Boston accent.
:cool:

Berkut

Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2009, 02:25:22 PM
I wonder if Palin is becoming the lefts red herring for Obamas rather epic failure to get anything done so far?
He's been president for less than a year and he's managed to dramatically improve our image abroad while keeping most of the (relatively sane) later Bush II initiatives.  He's not God.  I find it amusing that while everyone here suggested that I'd be gravely disappointed by Obama in office, I appear to be one of the few people on this board willing to give him some time to get into his stride. 

Yeah, the jury is certainly out, but it isn't looking that good so far. He doesn't seem to be able to get his Congress to do anything he wants them to do, and health care "reform" is looking like a disaster.

Maybe things will turn around - we shall see.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

charliebear

Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2009, 09:02:26 AM

Great Lakes is all DA BEARSSSS and Chi-KAHHHHH-goh.

How else would you say it? 

:P

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2009, 02:25:22 PMHe's been president for less than a year and he's managed to dramatically improve our image abroad while keeping most of the (relatively sane) later Bush II initiatives.  He's not God.  I find it amusing that while everyone here suggested that I'd be gravely disappointed by Obama in office, I appear to be one of the few people on this board willing to give him some time to get into his stride.
I don't recall thinking this about you, but I definitely recall thinking it about FB, and we've been proven right since recently Obama made it clear he will not push to legalize/decriminalize marijuana at the federal level.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2009, 09:14:34 AM
Pres Obama will start to get a similar treatment, in time. Already he's given some fodder to critics, and politics will pick up on more and more. We may even get to ODS, Obama Derangement Syndrome, as we did with Clinton and Bush. Given all the scurrilous things said about them I'd have figured they'd be headed for Gitmo or some such after their Presidency was up.
I think we're at ODS for the far-right of the Republican party.  From the whole 'he hates white people or white culture' to the birthers and the Michelle Bachmann style of silliness I think people on the hard-right really, really dislike him.  The challenge for the Republicans is to channel the energy and motivation of that part of their party without seeming to let them take over the message - something I think the Democrats failed at in 2004.  You need a base to be angry but you've got try and keep it this side of crazy.

QuoteI mean, you are right of course - whatever problems Obama has, not being intellectual enough is certainly not one of them.

But it is ironic that you are blasting Hansy for this, in THIS thread, which is nothing if not un-subtle bashing and exaggeration of Palin. Of course, she certainly deserves it more than Obama, but its not like you would ever be caught dead saying anything positive about the woman.
I think this is true.  I have said before that I think Palin's a pretty compelling figure and I blame her for not blinking and John McCain for picking her, because I think given a few more years she could have been someone very impressive. 

Having said that I don't think she's an intellectual.  But I don't think that was ever part of her pitch.  Obama's sort-of intellectualism and perceived thoughtfulness were part of the attraction, I think he/the campaign consciously cultivated that. 

I think that regardless of who won in the election we'd read a lot of stories about how thoughtful the White House is, how long the President lets debate go on and so on, because I think almost all administrations spend a period correcting the perceived errors of the previous administration and sometimes go too far.  So after stories about Carter's micro-management you get Ronald Reagan running a pretty hands-off White House, which leads to problems in his second term.  After those problems you get a very formal and minuted White House under Bush I which gives way to fast food and all night binges of all sorts under Clinton; Bush II cleans up the White House, is initially praise for the decisiveness and terseness of his meetings and the new, brisk formality.  By the end of his second term those positives are seen as negative and indicative of intellectual laziness, that questions weren't asked and debates weren't held that could have helped.  So I think McCain or Obama would both have cultivated an image of a White House that's a fulcrum of debate and a President who asks lots of follow-up questions.  Whether it's true or not is another issue.

Edit:  Despite my unhappiness that Palin's been spoiled I think it's good because if she's weaker it could lead to Huck doing more :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2009, 02:25:22 PM
Nobody figured that you'd be disappointed.  He's your hometown boy.  He could name Dick Cheney Overpresident and you'd find an excuse to suckle at his manbits.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.