History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on May 10, 2013, 05:45:10 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2013, 05:41:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2013, 05:39:07 AM
Malta?

Yup. 3.340 air raids were sent against it between June 1940 and November 1942.
I bet the amount of bombs was nowhere near what was dropped on Berlin or Tokyo.

Sorry, should have specified that it was by number of raids rather than by tonnage dropped.

Syt

120 years ago today, the United States Supreme Court ruled in the case Nix vs. Hedden. What was the ruling?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Nix lost due to the votes of the Texas and Illinois justices.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

That the tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit.

On her 55th birthday evening party in 131 BC, what noteworthy gift did Cleopatra II allegedly receive from her brother/ex-husband/ex co-ruler, Ptolemy VIII Physcon, and her daughter/niece Cleopatra III, who Physcon had married after divorcing Cleopatra II?

Obviously it's about Ptolemaic family politics, that should you give you a slight clue.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

A combination family tree/dating guide.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Drakken

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2013, 07:13:04 PM
A combination family tree/dating guide.

It would have been quite a simple dating guide : the eldest son marries the eldest daughter, and the rest of the daughters get married off to Syria or other diadochi eligible bachelors.

But no. That said Raz's reply, taken literally, is getting slightly warmer.

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2013, 08:02:59 PM
An asp in her bed?

No. The gift was an even harsher "go fuck yourself" than that.

Drakken

I apply the 24 hour rule.

As the "gift" sent from Ptolemy VIII Physcon (usually translated as Potbelly) and her daughter Cleopatra III, she received Ptolemy Memphites, her only surviving son and the only child she's conceived with Physcon. Except that Physcon had him decapitated and torn into pieces before sending the whole remains in a carried box right on time for her birthday.  :nelson:

Languish is losing its ways. In the good old time it would have had been fiercely contended. :(