News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'm still disappointed that nobody was able to connect a composer with this picture. :(

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

The flag might not be obscure but Who is Anders and what was his army?

Maximus

Admiral Yi

Stab in the dark: the Danish contingent at the Battle of the Boyne.  Formed...over there.

Maximus

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on August 29, 2013, 02:30:49 PM
Nope, more recent

Has a nice Hogan's Heroes type ring to it so I am going to guess WWII.  Anders - sounds scandi but nothing was really going on there except the Germans landing in Norway so I am going to guess a bunch of Norwegians trying to fight the Nazi's under a British flag because they were formed in England - since the local Norwegians had already learned how to goose step.

Even remotely close?

Maximus

I'm going to give it to you because you got the war right and kinda-sorta the flag.

Anders' Army was more formally known as Polish Armed Forces in the East, an army formed by the Soviet Union out of Polish PoWs and other prisoners in Soviet concentration camps. They wore the Piast eagle and fought under Soviet command until '42 when they were transferred to Iran and joined British command, eventually seeing fighting in North Africa and Italy.

crazy canuck

I was close in a game of nuclear horse shoes... lol.

Here is the question.  The formation of the English Common Law is often heralded as one of the foundations of the Rule of Law.  But what was the not so noble reason for its creation orginally?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2013, 05:36:52 PM

Here is the question.  The formation of the English Common Law is often heralded as one of the foundations of the Rule of Law.  But what was the not so noble reason for its creation orginally?

So people couldn't seek 'refuge' within the church system of justice ?  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Giving the king a monopoly on selling writs, thus pumping up his income?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

barkdreg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 29, 2013, 01:56:58 PM
I'm still disappointed that nobody was able to connect a composer with this picture. :(

Rimsky-Korsakov?
EDIT: just noticed the answer on the previous page, my timing sucks

Gups

I don't think there is a simple answer to CC's question.

Prior to the introduction (or at least formalisation) of a common law system by Henry II by sending out judges on a circuit, the law was localised with local bigwigs dispensing their version of justice. HII imposes a common system throughout the country. One can speculate as to the reasons but they would include seeking a unified approach and extending the power of the King in opposition to the obility and higher gentry.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 05:51:53 PM

Giving the king a monopoly on selling writs, thus pumping up his income?

bingo.  you have the floor

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2013, 04:57:00 AM
I don't think there is a simple answer to CC's question.

Prior to the introduction (or at least formalisation) of a common law system by Henry II by sending out judges on a circuit, the law was localised with local bigwigs dispensing their version of justice. HII imposes a common system throughout the country. One can speculate as to the reasons but they would include seeking a unified approach and extending the power of the King in opposition to the obility and higher gentry.

Naw, Henry the second wasnt motivated to seek a unified approach.  We can say that with some confidence because that was a consequence of creating a royal monopoly on justice which developed incrementally.  With hindsight we can see his policy as the start of what would become the Common Law but he did it to increase his revenues. 

Malthus

This is probably an easy one for this crowd ... but here goes.

The Colossus of Rhodes was one of the wonders of the ancient world (as well as in the Civilization series of games  ;) ). In the real world, its construction was alleged to have been financed from a rather unusual source. How did Rhodes allegedly pay for building its colossus?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius