News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Well, I have no idea what actually happened to him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on March 07, 2014, 02:14:30 PM

The question isnt what happened to Gasim, the question is what happened when Lawrence returned with Gasim.  The bonus question is why did Gasim need rescuing in the first place.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2014, 02:23:47 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 07, 2014, 02:14:30 PM

The question isnt what happened to Gasim, the question is what happened when Lawrence returned with Gasim.  The bonus question is why did Gasim need rescuing in the first place.

Well I still don't know.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Ok, hopefully you are not the only one who reads this thread. :)

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2014, 02:30:11 PM
Ok, hopefully you are not the only one who reads this thread. :)

I think I might be.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2014, 02:54:30 PM
There was a sexy party.

The camels were already exhausted from the trip across the desert

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2014, 11:08:46 AM
time to restart the thread

In the movie Lawrence of Arabia, when crossing a difficult section of desert one of the Arabs, named Gasim, goes missing and Lawrence goes back to save him.

QuoteIn David Lean's epic film, the rescue of Gasim would be immortalized in a ten minute scene, culminating in Lawrence finally rejoining his comrades to their relieved and raucous cheers, his noble act cementing his image as a true "sone of the desert". The reality was quite different.

The quote is from Lawrence in Arabia:War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson.

The question is what really happened when Lawrence returned with Gasim and bonus points if you know how Gasim came to be separated from the group.

Rather than arriving to relieved and raucous cheers the arabs were very disappointed in Lawrence for risking his life for someone who obviously deserved to die.  They took out their disppointment on Lawrence's two servants who were beaten for allowing Lawrence to leave.

The bonus question, Gasim didnt secure his camel when he got off to take a piss.

Malthus

Here's an odd one: who is the only non-Jewish person to be proclaimed as "messiah" in the Old Testament? Where was he proclaimed, and why?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

The anus. Don't know the second question.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
Here's an odd one: who is the only non-Jewish person to be proclaimed as "messiah" in the Old Testament? Where was he proclaimed, and why?
Cyrus, Babylon, ending the Babylonian Exodus? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

You sure that question is Yi rule-compliant Malthus?  :glare:

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on April 02, 2014, 02:11:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
Cyrus, Babylon, ending the Babylonian Exodus?

Yup.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2014, 02:12:27 PM
You sure that question is Yi rule-compliant Malthus?  :glare:

I dunno. If Cyrus was Canadian, that would sure prove confusing.  :lol: