Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clandestino

I think you are right about Greenland.

That would be my guess anyway.

Viking

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 08:47:24 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 08:39:17 PM
Name one place where the white man arrived before the present day indigenous people. I know of two.

:hmm:

Cape Town?

Reached by the Dutch before the Bantu tribes, although I've always been somewhat dubious about the claim that the Khoisan peoples weren't living their at that time either.

Southern Greenland?

I believe the natives may have migrated south to the vicinity of the Viking settlements.

You got both.

In the cape there were Bantu peoples in the region, the main issue however was that they were not settled farmers. Bantu peoples did not have agriculture which suited the climate. The Dutch, however, did. Eventually European agriculture allowed Bantu settlement.

In Greenland the Thule people arrived in Greenland after the Vikings. They were probably driven by same climate changes which were one of the causes of the fall of norse settlement in greenland.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Agelastus

Since its about time I retired for the night/morning, and somebody ( :glare:) complained about me hogging the thread earlier, I yield the floor to Clandestino.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

clandestino

Caliga

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 08:42:55 PM
Diego Suarez is at the Northern tip of Madagascar. There'd have been fighting further south as the Vichy French defended the capital at Tananarive.
Yeah, I know where it is, and while I think there was Vichy resistance at the capital I don't think it was serious... and I said "significant" battle in my followup (but admittedly not in the original question).  To this day there are still partially sunken Vichy/British ships in Diego Suarez harbor.  But in either case, Madagascar is definitely correct as even Diego Suarez is a bit further south than New Guinea. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 08:59:43 PM
Since its about time I retired for the night/morning, and somebody ( :glare:) complained about me hogging the thread earlier, I yield the floor to Clandestino.

Not you, Spellus was.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

2 week rule.

Which country had the first female foreign minister?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2010, 07:46:00 PM
2 week rule.

Which country had the first female foreign minister?

Israel?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2010, 07:48:07 PM
Israel?
Nope.

Goldie was ambassador to the USSR after independence; did she ever hold foreign minister?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2010, 07:50:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2010, 07:48:07 PM
Israel?
Nope.

Goldie was ambassador to the USSR after independence; did she ever hold foreign minister?

She did.  Just looked it up.  1956-1966.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

I keep reading this thread title as "History Trivia Thread Rednecks".
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 02, 2010, 10:32:50 PM
I keep reading this thread title as "History Trivia Thread Rednecks".

I was just about to post that. Scary. :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Ana Pauka of Rumania was the world's first female foreign minister.  Appointed in 1948, purged shortly thereafter.

Octavian

In 1794 Sweden, as part of a general crackdown on freedom of the press, banned two specific documents.

Which documents?
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

frunk

Thomas Paine's The Rights of Man, and the Declaration of Independence?