Related to volcanoes, yes...

The sect is very famous nowadays...

The monsters are WELL-known...

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Yep, the famous 1816 year... When Frankenstein's monster and the Vampire were created in the same villa near Lake Geneva because of the bad weather... and when Joseph Smith was forced to move to greener pastures, the same ones that held the future Book of Mormon...

Viking

More Victorian technology. One of the sparks for the Indian mutiny of 1857 was the rumour that cow and pig fat was used in the new Enfield Rifle cartridges. What were the cartridges really greased with?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Didn't we have a discussion about that recently? Or did I dream it? Anyway I'm not touching that one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2010, 04:27:55 AM
Didn't we have a discussion about that recently? Or did I dream it? Anyway I'm not touching that one.

Did "we"? What conclusion did "we" come to?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on March 04, 2010, 04:38:24 AM
Malthus and grumbler had a long back and forth not too long ago in Hod knows what thread about whether the British were actually planning to grease with lard and later changed to wax or whether they had always planned to grease with wax and lard was a pure fabrication.  Can't remember the final verdict.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2010, 05:03:56 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 04, 2010, 04:38:24 AM
Malthus and grumbler had a long back and forth not too long ago in Hod knows what thread about whether the British were actually planning to grease with lard and later changed to wax or whether they had always planned to grease with wax and lard was a pure fabrication.  Can't remember the final verdict.

oh, that would explain why I didn't remember it...

But still, that doesn't change anything, what did they grease it with?

Razgovory

I think Grumbler said it was actually greased with sheep tallow.  He sourced it, but I don't think Malthus believed it. In fact Grumbler put a persuasive argument forth that few if any new cartridges reached the rebelling areas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2010, 07:34:23 AM
I think Grumbler said it was actually greased with sheep tallow.  He sourced it, but I don't think Malthus believed it. In fact Grumbler put a persuasive argument forth that few if any new cartridges reached the rebelling areas.

He's right in that they never reached the area. If he's sourced it then I'd like to see the source. That's not what I have found.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 04, 2010, 07:49:35 AM

He's right in that they never reached the area. If he's sourced it then I'd like to see the source. That's not what I have found.

I believe he sourced actual books.  What did you find?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2010, 07:51:36 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 04, 2010, 07:49:35 AM

I believe he sourced actual books.  What did you find?

I had it from various sources previously, this is the one I checked before asking the question.

Spoiler Alert: the link below contains the answer. Do not click if you want to keep guessing.

http://books.google.no/books?id=i89IQJkIa3oC&pg=PA656&lpg=PA656&dq=linseed+oil+wax+india+1857&source=bl&ots=-_ZnqV93ZE&sig=e7vIQgCTM9HIzUBUVapUwlOZ610&hl=no&ei=AbCPS-2CO5Dd-QbDo93lCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

the last appendix on the last page of "A history of the Sepoy war in India, 1857-1858, John William Kaye"

which includes the quote
QuoteI cannot doubt that the impression at head-quarters that the "patches" were greased with mutton fat was altogether a mistake.

Edit: to put the google book link on the correct page.

Viking

Eddie Teach

I'm going to guess linseed oil.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2010, 08:05:36 AM
I'm going to guess linseed oil.

Close enough, it was Linseed Oil and Beeswax. Your floor.