News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

Quote from: frunk on March 03, 2010, 08:50:30 AM
Thomas Paine's The Rights of Man, and the Declaration of Independence?

One of them is correct
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Viking

The Declaration of the Rights of Man (from Revolutionary France) and The US Declaration of Independence ?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Octavian

Quote from: Viking on March 03, 2010, 12:16:20 PM
The Declaration of the Rights of Man (from Revolutionary France) and The US Declaration of Independence ?

Close!

The French constitution and the US Declaration of Independence.

The floor is yours!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Viking

Robert Stephenson's Rocket competed with it's rivals in a now famous trial, which it won. Name one of the two main design differences between the Rocket and it's competitors which helped it win.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on March 03, 2010, 02:51:23 PM
New question please.

If I asked a question about copper bottoms, flint locks or cotton gins this would go unremarked. But this is the most important machine in history, both individually and as a definition of class. 

Jaron

Okay.... if you're that passionate about it..

I'm going to guess detachable rockets and a better type of fuel
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on March 03, 2010, 02:45:50 PM
Robert Stephenson's Rocket competed with it's rivals in a now famous trial, which it won. Name one of the two main design differences between the Rocket and it's competitors which helped it win.

Maglev.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

nope on the fuel, rockets and maglev

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 03, 2010, 03:23:33 PM
It was a system of tubes?

Ding ding, we have a winner. The tube design in the boiler increases the surface area between the fire box flue and the water making more steam more quickly. Giving more power for less mass.

However, this is not why the Rocket won. One of it's main competetors had technical problems with the older and more reliable plate design. It performed on par with the Rocket, despite the tubular boiler and the slanted cylinder (the other design feature), it was not the best train at the competition, it did however have the technology which, when developed properly, was the better one.

Razgovory

I don't want to think of a question cause I don't feel good.  I would just like bask in the glory of knowing stuff about the industrial revolution. :cool:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

What global climate event from the 19th century gave birth, indirectly, to two famous monsters plus to a well-known Christian sect?

Viking

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?