And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2021, 03:37:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2021, 03:15:59 AM
All the really good teams are on one side of the knockout table. :(  That sucks. The Belgium-Italy final will be played in the Quarter Finals.

Kinda' shows that Hungary got really unlucky with that group draw, seeing the giants paired on the other end like Sweden v. Ukraine or Denmark v. Wales.

I like it.
I'm very much the anti-mono on these things and love underdogs having a long run.

As everyone, but it means little to nothing when it is achieved against other underdogs.

celedhring

Yeah, underdogs making an upset = great fun*, underdogs beating other underdogs = well, whatever.

*Unless it's Greece, which managed to pull off the least inspiring underdog run in 2004.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2021, 04:08:47 AM
Yeah, underdogs making an upset = great fun*, underdogs beating other underdogs = well, whatever.

*Unless it's Greece, which managed to pull off the least inspiring underdog run in 2004.

Don't remind me of 2004, that was dreadful.

Also don't forget underdogs South Korea on their WC.  :lol: That was a very unique competition as well.

celedhring

I can assure you there's no way I will forget South Korea's run in 2006  :lol:

Fortunately, 2010 erased the sting of that game.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2021, 09:18:08 PM
How did a black dude every make it to Hungary?

Naturalized French.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2021, 04:19:03 AM
I can assure you there's no way I will forget South Korea's run in 2006  :lol:

Neither Spain nor Italy will ever forget the shambles that was playing South Korea in 2002. The most clearly bought referees I've ever seen.

When Italy fell because of that many people in Spain were gleeful, as if it served Italy well for all their own shenanigans over the years (since 1994 I'd say that Italy was Spain's fiercest international rival, until 2008, when that was exorcised). Then when we were on the receiving end...

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2021, 04:39:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2021, 09:18:08 PM
How did a black dude every make it to Hungary?

Naturalized French.

Loïc Négo, who scored a decisive goal for the Hungarian qualification, as a matter of fact.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 24, 2021, 05:26:09 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Meme does not show Hungary went down with honour.  :thumbsdown:
Syt's sisters-like level, from the other side.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2021, 03:15:59 AM
All the really good teams are on one side of the knockout table. :(  That sucks. The Belgium-Italy final will be played in the Quarter Finals.

Kinda' shows that Hungary got really unlucky with that group draw, seeing the giants paired on the other end like Sweden v. Ukraine or Denmark v. Wales.

That's both harsh and undeserved for England and Germany, while France in the hard part gets to have other favorites duking it out before meeting them.

™La chatte à Dédé™ is back, between og, draws and refereeing (Kyky took lessons with Neymar while Lloris follows the Ligue 1/Anthony Lopes school of goalkeeping)!
Well, a couple laterals injured though, but that's all.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2021, 04:05:26 AM
Is the hearth celebration an LGBT+ thing? I thought it was just a supercommon goal celebration. Loads of footballers make that when scoring.
It is - but Goretzka was making it quite pointedly at Hungarian ultras (the black-shirted Carpathian Brigade - who had the anti-gay banner and a history of far-right bullshit):

But also from the footage it just looks very pointed at those fans:
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1407803154046070789?s=20

Quote*Unless it's Greece, which managed to pull off the least inspiring underdog run in 2004.
It was great! Did we enjoy them - no, but that wasn't the point :lol:

QuoteI can assure you there's no way I will forget South Korea's run in 2006  :lol:
And 2002 :wub:

Also in best use of this meme category :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2021, 05:52:37 AM

It is - but Goretzka was making it quite pointedly at Hungarian ultras (the black-shirted Carpathian Brigade - who had the anti-gay banner and a history of far-right bullshit):

:thumbsup: I HATE those flippin' black shirts. But at least it's clear they are not some casual football fans looking for fun, but actual militant fascists, so it has its uses.

Also in best use of this meme category :lol:

:lol:

The Larch

QuoteI can assure you there's no way I will forget South Korea's run in 2006  :lol:

2002 was what Cel meant, the one they hosted. Those atrocious refereeings in the knockout rounds... more  :bleeding: & :ultra: than  :wub:

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 24, 2021, 05:46:54 AM™La chatte à Dédé™ is back, between og, draws and refereeing (Kyky took lessons with Neymar while Lloris follows the Ligue 1/Anthony Lopes school of goalkeeping)!

Translation please?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2021, 06:00:36 AM

2002 was what Cel meant, the one they hosted. Those atrocious refereeings in the knockout rounds... more  :bleeding: & :ultra: than  :wub:
I mainly remember Spain knocking out Ireland on penalties so... <_< :P

But it's always nice if a host gets to go deep into a tournament - see also Russia in 2018 - and I'm a bit the opposite of Mono too in that I love seeing countries beyond South America and Europe doing well :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!