News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Ontario registered its highest increase in confirmed cases yet, today. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Video by a worker of the Excel centre space in London that's being converted into an emergency 4,000 critical care bed hospital (NHS Nightingale):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=hiXVdfOSlF8&feature=emb_title

I had not realised the scale :blink: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 04:18:55 PM
Video by a worker of the Excel centre space in London that's being converted into an emergency 4,000 critical care bed hospital (NHS Nightingale):

Very cool when someone who was wrong can admit they were wrong.

Sheilbh

Mayor of Messina has acquired a drone to find and follow runners while he shouts "where the fuck are you going?!" at them :lol:
https://www.tp24.it/2020/03/25/istituzioni/dove-cazzo-messina-drone-voce-sindaco-viola-divieti/147077#.XntOzCMEz-o.twitter
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

:lol:

How is it possible for an Italian to operate a drone and talk simultaneously? 

Zanza

Just read about Folding@Home, a distributed computing network using idle computing power of normal home computers to simulate proteins. They are currently researching the new coronavirus.

The network has seen a huge influx of new users and now has a processing power of 1.5 exaflops, about ten times more than the world's fastest supercomputer. 

It gives me hope to read about all the research effects around the world.

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 03:59:53 PM
Mainly because the data in Italy are worse and I don't see places like NYC avoiding that fate. In Lombardia the case fatality rate is 13.8%, 30% of all cases require hospitalization, and the ICUs (even with expansion) are totally saturated.

Even if you quibble with the rates, let's say 7% of all young people need hospitalization. If 30% of the USA gets COVID-19 in the first yearly outbreak season, 7% of 20-45 people (who comprise ~30% of the total population) get hospitalized, then that alone is 2 million needing hospitalization and ~293k need ICU level care/ventilation. Stay home.

In Atlanta? If the ICU beds are already saturated here shouldn't I relocate to somewhere that hasn't been overwhelmed? :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 04:45:56 PM
Just read about Folding@Home, a distributed computing network using idle computing power of normal home computers to simulate proteins. They are currently researching the new coronavirus.

The network has seen a huge influx of new users and now has a processing power of 1.5 exaflops, about ten times more than the world's fastest supercomputer. 

It gives me hope to read about all the research effects around the world.

Folding@Home is pretty ancient by now. I used to run it back in the day (and SETI@Home before that). You can set on your preferences if you want to prioritize research for cancer, Huntington's, Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. There's no option for SARS-CoV2, so I guess those assignments are distributed almost instantly.

fromtia

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 04:18:55 PM

Oof. This is going "Threads".  :(
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on March 25, 2020, 04:55:44 PMFolding@Home is pretty ancient by now. I used to run it back in the day (and SETI@Home before that). You can set on your preferences if you want to prioritize research for cancer, Huntington's, Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. There's no option for SARS-CoV2, so I guess those assignments are distributed almost instantly.

Just remember to select any disease in the settings. Covid-19 calculations are a priority right now. Right now my computer is crunching some antibody simulation.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 04:41:40 PM
:lol:

How is it possible for an Italian to operate a drone and talk simultaneously?

Article says that the voice is pre-recorded. He's not berating them live.  :P

DGuller

I decided to pitch in my 10 cores and 1080 GPU.  It's not doing anything at the moment even on full power. :unsure:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 04:08:28 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 25, 2020, 03:39:47 PM
I think he was still talking about US.

I was  referring to syntax.

She had a fake accent. I've had 5 years of assault by British speakers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.