And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 12:53:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
I wonder if it would make sense to draft low risk people to be infected right now, all at the same time?  :ph34r: They'll do their 14 days in isolation and then take themselves out of the pool of potential super-spreaders.

I am looking at my hospital census right now and I see quite a few 20-50 year olds who are intubated in the ICU with COVID-19. Just because you're unlikely to die doesn't mean you can't get extremely sick.

That's good to know. Thank you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 03:19:00 PM
should they be able to pay their rent or mortgage and keep their vehicles insured and running as well?

No.  I want people evicted, as long as the lights are still on.

Silly goose.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2020, 02:44:37 PM
We call that Canada

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25 an hour (of course many states and localities have much higher rates, but that is the lowest). In Canada the rate is about C$11.40 an hour, or $7.98 an hour in USD at the current exchange rate of $0.70/CAD.

Yeah you guys are higher, but the difference isn't that big. It may seem bigger because you guys have a higher rate despite being an overall poorer country.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 03:19:00 PM
should they be able to pay their rent or mortgage and keep their vehicles insured and running as well?

No.  I want people evicted, as long as the lights are still on.

Silly goose.

ah I see.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 03:21:49 PM
We call that Canada

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25 an hour (of course many states and localities have much higher rates, but that is the lowest). In Canada the rate is about C$11.40 an hour, or $7.98 an hour in USD at the current exchange rate of $0.70/CAD.

Yeah you guys are higher, but the difference isn't that big. It may seem bigger because you guys have a higher rate despite being an overall poorer country.

It depends, we have a Federal min wage but also provincial ones. Ontario is 14$, BC is  13.85$, Quebec is 12.50$, Alberta is 15$.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

I like how ar zeroed in on the least relevant comparator and ignored the rest  :lol:

Eddie Teach

That was the point that needed correction. :nerd:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2020, 03:24:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 03:21:49 PM
We call that Canada

It depends, we have a Federal min wage but also provincial ones. Ontario is 14$, BC is  13.85$, Quebec is 12.50$, Alberta is 15$.

Irrelevant to the larger point but the US also has federal minimum wage and state ones. We've also city based ones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

"We've also?"

You're going Madonna Grab On.

Fate

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 03:19:58 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 12:53:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
I wonder if it would make sense to draft low risk people to be infected right now, all at the same time?  :ph34r: They'll do their 14 days in isolation and then take themselves out of the pool of potential super-spreaders.

I am looking at my hospital census right now and I see quite a few 20-50 year olds who are intubated in the ICU with COVID-19. Just because you're unlikely to die doesn't mean you can't get extremely sick.

That's good to know. Thank you.

Less anecdotal, might help convince any young people you know to be careful. Death is rare, but hospitalization rates are 14%. This data is only current to mid March and likely understates the case as we go deeper into the outbreak.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2020, 02:26:14 PM
It is like war time conscription, because we are in a national emergency.  If you wish to increase the minimum wage while this is going on, I'm cool with it.

Then it's only fair we all be subject to the draft.  Everyone takes a week working in a grocery store.

So is that a "no" on the increased minimum wage?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 03:35:33 PM
"We've also?"

You're going Madonna Grab On.

I think he was still talking about US.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2020, 03:37:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2020, 02:26:14 PM
It is like war time conscription, because we are in a national emergency.  If you wish to increase the minimum wage while this is going on, I'm cool with it.

Then it's only fair we all be subject to the draft.  Everyone takes a week working in a grocery store.

So is that a "no" on the increased minimum wage?

I don't dispute that you're cool with that.

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 03:36:31 PM

Less anecdotal, might help convince any young people you know to be careful. Death is rare, but hospitalization rates are 14%. This data is only current to mid March and likely understates the case as we go deeper into the outbreak.

Why do you think that the data understates the case? The cruise ship data indicated that something like half the positive results were asymptomatic. If that is the case, you can divide the numbers by 2. Also, testing has been limited, and disproportionately provided to the more seriously ill. That will also make the rates go higher.

Mortality would theoretically go higher as we get deeper into the crisis, but the other numbers should go down as well, as hospital beds and ventilators become more scarce resources and marginal cases get sent home or there aren't ventilators available.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 03:47:10 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 03:36:31 PM

Why do you think that the data understates the case? The cruise ship data indicated that something like half the positive results were asymptomatic. If that is the case, you can divide the numbers by 2. Also, testing has been limited, and disproportionately provided to the more seriously ill. That will also make the rates go higher.

Mortality would theoretically go higher as we get deeper into the crisis, but the other numbers should go down as well, as hospital beds and ventilators become more scarce resources and marginal cases get sent home or there aren't ventilators available.

Mainly because the data in Italy are worse and I don't see places like NYC avoiding that fate. In Lombardia the case fatality rate is 13.8%, 30% of all cases require hospitalization, and the ICUs (even with expansion) are totally saturated.

Even if you quibble with the rates, let's say 7% of all young people need hospitalization. If 30% of the USA gets COVID-19 in the first yearly outbreak season, 7% of 20-45 people (who comprise ~30% of the total population) get hospitalized, then that alone is 2 million needing hospitalization and ~293k need ICU level care/ventilation. Stay home.