News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Toilet paper is probably one of the most vulnerable items to hoarding.  It has low value, yet is very bulky.  Supermarkets don't have too much incentive to display a lot.  It is also kinda essential, difficult to replace (can't flush regular tissue down the toilet or the pipes will be clogged), and highly visible.  Because they take up so much display space, shortages are much more visible than the disappearance of a certain kind of candy. 

Monoriu

I also hoard bottled water, tissue boxes, tissue packets, medicines, instant noodles, hygiene products, rice, pasta, cooking oil, alcoholic wipes, canned ham, canned soup, frozen meat, frozen dumplings, soap, and a lot of other stuff that I am too lazy to list :yeah:

Pretty sure I have 50 boxes of tissue and 7kg of rice. 

Eddie Teach

What's the point of having a magnificent hoard if you still go to work every day?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 17, 2020, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2020, 07:52:43 PM
Mnuchin told Republicans in the Senate that employment may rise to 20% in the US.

That's good

I'm not seeing the upside to this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Because you typed employment rather than unemployment.

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 17, 2020, 10:58:24 PM
What's the point of having a magnificent hoard if you still go to work every day?

It is only possible to pay for the toilet paper if I work  :secret:

Eddie Teach

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 17, 2020, 11:13:12 PM
Because you typed employment rather than unemployment.

Oh.  Wait, 20% employment is really bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 17, 2020, 11:16:10 PM
Civilization is still functioning.  :secret:

The fact that civilisation is still functioning doesn't mean some people won't run out of toilet paper :contract:

Admiral Yi

Has anyone heard or read anything about false positives and false negatives?

Fate?

Zoupa

I wanted to wear a mask at work. My boss said no, it sends the wrong message.  :huh:

So no alcohol or disinfectant gel, don't wear masks, business as usual. We are literally the front line at pharmacies, since the special phone number set up by the gvt has a 3 hour wait time, so people show up at the store, where no employees are protected.

Nobody respects the 1-2 meter social distancing. Nobody stays indoor as requested. I had a fucking idiot cough on me not once but twice to "show me his cough". Dude was running a fever, and "could it have anything to do with my brother who just got back from Spain?"

Basically, we're fucked, unless the cops and army enforce this thing. Also, it was nice knowing y'all, since that moron probably infected me, and since I wasn't wearing a mask (think of the message it sends!) I will probably infect every single medication vial I touch for the next few weeks, indirectly killing people since half our patients are over 70.

Let's think of the image of the business in a pandemic  :wacko:

And why the fuck do we still sell cosmetics at this time? I had to insist maybe to stop displaying the lipstick samples that a gazillion of people have touched. Humans are fucking retarded. I almost welcome this plague.

Admiral Yi

The no mask thing is bizarre. 

On the flip side, you are in a pretty low risk group.

If your number is up, thanks for the memories. :cheers:

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zoupa on March 18, 2020, 12:07:03 AM
I wanted to wear a mask at work. My boss said no, it sends the wrong message.  :huh:

Same at the STM. My sisters said fuck it. You'll have to remove it from my face. WTF is the wrong message here?

I suggest you wear it. What will the guy do, fire you? now?

Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

I understood the masks to only be helpful in protecting others from your germs, not the other way around. I'm other words, the idiot with the cough needed to wear one not Zoupa. Though, since he's been coughed on, yeah, he should now wear one.  :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Threviel

I'm with Meri, what kind of message does it send if pharmacists can't even follow WHO recommendations?

Edit: Although that recommendation is rather counter-intuitive, so I understand that people feel that it is good with masks.