Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2021, 03:41:04 AM
Pretty much any group that has something to complain about Covid measures or vaccinations has scheduled protests in Vienna today, so there'll be thousands of them running around the inner city today. Rules are that they need to wear FFP2 masks; let's see how that goes. Some fringe groups have called for violent resistance to the scheduled vaccination mandate, so police is on high alert, and vaccination locations are under increased protection.

On top of that, people will likely crowd into shopping streets, shops and malls to enjoy one last day of money spending before everything will be closed.

Since I live near the center, and therefore there'll likely be lots of tfoot traffic to/from the demonstration in my area, I guess I'll stay inside. Thankfully, I did all my shopping during the week.

Yeah hunker down Syt, let the madness outside enfold.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Or prance around with an AR-15. Your choice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on November 20, 2021, 06:42:03 AM
Or prance around with a Steyr AUG. Your choice.

Fixed to blend in, somewhat.  :P

Syt

Couple of impressions. Obviously mask mandate not taken very seriously, though police supposedly keeps reminding people to wear masks.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Riots in Rotterdam last night, police shot two people in the legs to protect firefighters. Riot police has only fired on people once before this century, in 2009, so it's kind of a big deal here. Let's see what happens tonight.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on November 20, 2021, 12:14:38 PM
Riots in Rotterdam last night, police shot two people in the legs to protect firefighters.

North Americans frown on their not-putting-24-rounds-in-the-chest shenanigans.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Gunshots to the legs can still be fatal, so if you're going to shoot, you have to make sure that it is fatal.

mongers

The booster jab roll out in England is developing into a disaster, no one has established the correct social etiquette yet about talking during the 15 minute wait afterwards.  :(

Is it like the tube, nobody ever talks unless they're mad or similar to an unexpected halt in a tunnel on a regular train service ie the odd ironic quip is allowed, so long as no one tries to turn it into a conversation.  :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I've no idea what's going on with the boosters. I thought it was just for the elderly with no need for younger people until a few days back when a guy in his 40s I know said he was getting it. It's a mystery.
I won't be rushing for this one.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2021, 05:10:33 PM
I've no idea what's going on with the boosters. I thought it was just for the elderly with no need for younger people until a few days back when a guy in his 40s I know said he was getting it. It's a mystery.

it's generally aimed at people at risk category.  Healthy young individual don't need one for now.  If there's one aimed specifically at the delta variant, then it's something I'll seriously consider.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2021, 05:10:33 PM
Really bad comms on it - and the regulator plays a role because the JCVI is doing a very slow reveal of groups who they recommend should have a booster shot when, I suspect, by January they'll basically be recommending everyone.

There's about 14.5 million who've had it and it is showing up in the figures on infections, hospitalisations and deaths (and may be part of why - weirdly - we're not seeing spikes like Germany and Austria but bouncing around a high plateau) - but from what I've read there's about 6 million eligible who haven't had a booster shot which is madness give that we know effectiveness wanes.

Separately I was travelling on a bus earlier today, it was already on diversion but then blocked by a huge anti-vax protest. Really weird thing that I've only otherwise seen on anti-war protests was a clearly international element - lots of flags generally which, again, you see on anti-war protests but not otherwise. So there were loads of Polish flags, some Italian, French, Serbian, Australian etc - and it struck me that it maybe is a little like the anti-war movement in that it isn't about the policies in the UK (where, despite the signs, there are no vaccine passports) but instead a protest against these policies anywhere. Really weird though.

Edit: Berlusconi getting his booster shot - his face is truly incredible in recent years :lol: :ph34r:
https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1462112457992855558?s=20
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The comms have indeed been terrible. A little while back government and the media were complaining that only 30% of over-50s had had the booster, but at the time it was impossible for me to get the booster  <_< because of the 6-month gap; this was true of many of course. Once they dropped the 6-month gap many people could suddenly come forward.

So pretty simple, people were not getting their booster because they were not allowed to having had their 2nd jab in May. These are own goals, the average 12-year old could probably do better, at least they would know that six months after May is November.

garbon

One of my in-laws in their 60s has had the booster jab. One of my in-laws in their 70s has not and their GP doesn't really have a reason why they haven't been scheduled for it...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

This is how Quebec's government has been presenting the Covid Situation. Lots of data in those daily graphs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Finally a decisive political measure in Germany to take care of a Covid-related problem: The working time directive for crematorium workers was suspended so that enough bodies can be burned...