Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 24, 2021, 09:44:53 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2021, 08:52:28 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 24, 2021, 08:37:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2021, 08:32:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2021, 07:47:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2021, 03:39:32 AM
The Russian girl has now suggested that we have drinks outdoors to not bow to fascism (sic). It's been raining all week.  :lol:

Sorry, I don't want to give you the play-by-play, I'm just having a good laugh  :lol:

Is she pretty enough to be this crazy?

She's very hot.

This place employs quite a few Russians (the uni has lots of ties with Russian academia), the women are all insanely hot. It's silly.

Are they all similarly crazy?

Wouldn't know, I only interact with this one regularly.

You should explore and report back.

I wish, but with fucking Covid I mostly work remotely for them, so I have little chance of interacting with people outside the department I work for  <_<

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2021, 07:34:52 AM
Well, I didn't mess up my second test and it came back negative. Which is great, but my temperature continues to be stuck above 37C, and have developed quite a headache by this morning, and my coughing seems to be slowly picking up.

I have a company event tomorrow I am supposed to attend which will require a 2 hours train ride. I don't want to be the guy bailing on it due to some dubious excuses, yet it seems that would be the prudent thing to do pandemic-wise.
So the pandemic has changed my behaviour on this.

Pre-pandemic I was someone who would generally still go in to work unless I was so ill I felt I actually couldn't work. In retrospect that was really unhelpful because I was schlepping about public transport and the office with no mask spreading whatever I had. In the last couple of months I have had days I'm meant to be in the office but have a slight cold. They were not bad and I wouldn't take the day off work, but now we are all used to working from home (which I do 3 days a week) I basically just email and say I'm WFH today rather than go in with germs.

If your temperatures up and you have a headache then you're not well and I think especially now very few people are thrilled to see a sick person who "made the effort" :P

QuoteTo be honest I am not keen on paying for yet another PCR test. I will pick up free lateral flow tests and re-test myself tomorrow morning. And probably just not go regardless. :P
You can also order PCR tests for free from the government:
https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

Stop paying for everything! :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

:lol: I am used to the travel requirements. A PCR test for that goes around 50 quid.

garbon

My company has gone to if you have a cough of any sort, don't come in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

My company is really rolling back its opening up. Xmas gatherings cancelled. I think its because of the Prague office rather than anything in the UK, but they're applying it universally anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2021, 08:32:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2021, 07:47:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2021, 03:39:32 AM
The Russian girl has now suggested that we have drinks outdoors to not bow to fascism (sic). It's been raining all week.  :lol:

Sorry, I don't want to give you the play-by-play, I'm just having a good laugh  :lol:

Is she pretty enough to be this crazy?

She's very hot.

This place employs quite a few Russians (the uni has lots of ties with Russian academia), the women are all insanely hot. It's silly.

Are you working in the adult industry now? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

The WHO is apparently projecting an additional 700,000 dead in Europe between now and March 1st.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2021, 10:04:16 AM
My company has gone to if you have a cough of any sort, don't come in.

We've had that for a while. Smokers exempted lol.

We have to fill out a questionnaire every morning. click yet to any and leave/don't come in.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2021, 11:16:04 AM
The WHO is apparently projecting an additional 700,000 dead in Europe between now and March 1st.

What is wrong with us?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2021, 12:10:32 PM

What is wrong with us?
Maybe it's just an evolutionary feature that some portion of the population would be stupidly contrarian.  If everyone is willing to get a treatment of some kind, then it only takes one defective treatment to lead to an extinction.  A string of impressive returns multiplied by zero is still zero.  On the other hand, having some contrarians die off is nothing special for species as a whole, it happens regularly. 

Maybe we should view anti-vaxxers as brave souls taking one for our collective team, putting themselves in increased danger just so that they can be humanity's backup plan in case technology goes catastrophically wrong.   :hmm:  Then again, if they're our backup plan, maybe we're better off being extinct?

alfred russel

we are a society descended from the fools that refused to have leeches applied to themselves or take the doctor's advice to be bled.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2021, 12:27:59 PM
we are a society descended from the fools that refused to have leeches applied to themselves or take the doctor's advice to be bled.

Yeah those are the same thing as understanding of vaccination in 2021. Go and take a hike now that you are finally allowed.

Razgovory

We didn't stop using leeches because we decided to stop listening to doctors, we stopped applying leeches because doctors told us to stop.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2021, 12:30:34 PM

Yeah those are the same thing as understanding of vaccination in 2021. Go and take a hike now that you are finally allowed.

Were you not allowed to take a hike at some point? If so, who disallowed it?

Where I live the state parks never closed and the hiking trails remained open. The federal trails did close however, and I think my state was possibly the only US state with such status.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2021, 12:10:32 PM

What is wrong with us?

A good part of it is institutional and political failures IMO. When the healtcare systems and staff are inadequately maintained, when scientific and political institutions are regarded with a high level of skepticism by the populace (often for good reasons), when misinformation is allowed to run rampant (and even encouraged by some institutions people in positions of responsibility and influence) and when programs to distribute and incentivize vaccination are inadequate - then it's hardly suprising that uptake is low and poor decisions are made.