Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Macaulay Culkin clearly has the best facemask.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

So... a coworker tested positive for COVID-19. At this point, a statistical certainty and not a huge cause for concern, right?

Wrong. HR wouldn't confirm who it was, but with under 15 out of 300 people in the office, it wasn't hard to count heads and notice who was missing. It's the guy who shares the otherwise empty floor with me. Whose desk is four seats away from mine. Who stayed home with negative COVID tests for four days before getting a positive on the 5th day.
Experience bij!

Iormlund

Four seats is quite a bit. How is the ventilation in your floor?

Zanza

Germany enacted restrictions regarding hotel usage for persons coming from the German risk areas, e.g. Berlin and Frankfurt. My father falls under these. As he has an appointment near me next week, he will sleep at my place. Which is still allowed. Strange rules...

HVC

We have to fill out a checklist every morning before coming into the office. and have to wear a mask in the building. If you have your own office you can take it off, but if you leave to go out into the common area you need a mask.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Iormlund on October 08, 2020, 02:01:01 PM

Good, luckily- we actually have the newest/strongest HEPA filters out of all the offices (all the others in our company are being replaced because they're not up to COVID standards).

And four seats for us is only about 20 feet/6 meters- we have serpentine desks with no sides instead of cubicles. In the officially "occupied" area where we've had a small number of people working, we covered all but every third desk with tarps to block them off and maintain minimum distance.

I've settled down a bit, though. It was finally pointed out that he was home four days before a positive test, so he probably self-quarantined after suspecting he was exposed via somebody else. Still, the guy in question... is our facilities guy. I panicked more because both of us have to circulate around the office a LOT more than anyone else, and the scenario where we both catch COVID would pretty much undo all we're doing to bring people back into the office, not to mention close our office down again with anyone who's been here having to quarantine.
Experience bij!

Iormlund

From our own experience during the last 4 months it seems contagion is rather unlikely unless you are literally spitting on each other.

I cross paths with hundreds of people every day at the plant (I walk at least 5km a day at work). Statistically several dozen have had the virus by now. Perhaps even a hundred. If airborne transmission was widespread we'd all be infected by now. I suspect it is rare outside of prolonged exposure or super-spreader events.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on October 08, 2020, 02:08:42 PM
Germany enacted restrictions regarding hotel usage for persons coming from the German risk areas, e.g. Berlin and Frankfurt. My father falls under these. As he has an appointment near me next week, he will sleep at my place. Which is still allowed. Strange rules...
sleeps at your place: easily identifiable and traceable people (likely, not 100 people) in case of infection.sleeps at the hotel: retracing all clients&all staff who may have been in contact with him = a lot more work.

Hence these kind of rules/restrictions about public places.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on October 08, 2020, 03:18:15 PM
From our own experience during the last 4 months it seems contagion is rather unlikely unless you are literally spitting on each other.

I cross paths with hundreds of people every day at the plant (I walk at least 5km a day at work). Statistically several dozen have had the virus by now. Perhaps even a hundred. If airborne transmission was widespread we'd all be infected by now. I suspect it is rare outside of prolonged exposure or super-spreader events.
Below 15 minutes of exposure, the risk is near zero.  Not totally 0, but very near.  After 15 minutes of contact in the same room, the closer you are, the more at risk you become as it increases exponentially.  Just crossing someone infected, if you're at 2m of each another, the risk of catching the disease is near zero.  But apparently, some people here were infected (last spring though) by exchanging paper documents.  Everyone who touched the documents got infected.  I figure that most likely, these people used their saliva to turn the pages... 

Anyway.  Like you said, the main vector of infections is still close contacts.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 08, 2020, 02:57:36 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 08, 2020, 02:01:01 PM

Good, luckily- we actually have the newest/strongest HEPA filters out of all the offices (all the others in our company are being replaced because they're not up to COVID standards).

HEPA filters works if the virus gets through the ventilation system.

With theoretical airborne transmission, what is actually happening is the virus is "spinning" in the air like a leaf in the wind and then deposits itself on another person.  Cases where the virus is "aspired" by the ventilation system and shuffled to another room via the ventilation ducts is extremely rare.  I don't think we've been able to prove that so far.  Only thing they could prove is that, under ideal conditions, the virus can stay up in the air.
Anyway. Nobody needs to stress about this.  If you are stuck in a room where the ventilation is simply fans that don't bring outside air like in that Chinese restaurant, yes, you are at risk of airborne transmission.  Otherwise, everything is fine.

EDIT: A nice text about the effect of ventilation on the coronavirus:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/8/19/21364031/coronavirus-air-purifiers-filter-hepa-merv-ventilation

Tamas

Why is it spreading so quickly again then?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2020, 04:34:14 PM

Why is it spreading so quickly again then?

Probably the current Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls revival.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Not one to let the poly get all the credit. This week Newcastle University has 1000 cases.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-more-than-1-000-students-at-newcastle-university-have-tested-positive-over-the-past-week-12099193

I'm glad in hindsight I couldn't afford a place in the more fashionable studenty parts of town.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2020, 04:12:53 PM
these people used their saliva to turn the pages... 

That habit needs to die  :x

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Maladict on October 08, 2020, 05:07:10 PM
That habit needs to die  :x

Seriously. That's disgusting, not to mention incredibly harmful from a document preservation standpoint.
Experience bij!