Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Stephen Miller tested positive for Covid. Maybe 2020 is not a total loss.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Going into ICU is pretty bad right? Well I hope he gets better.

Damn I remember when people respected Christ Christie. So many former conservative rising stars reduced to jokes over the past five years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Addendum: I couldn't find any media report of him being in ICU, only that he checked himself into a hospital.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2020, 03:15:57 PM

Damn I remember when people respected Christ Christie. So many former conservative rising stars reduced to jokes over the past five years.

If Chris Christie dies, Trump can take some credit for destroying his reputation, his career, and ultimately his life.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Might have been avoided if he had thrown his weight (hehe) behind Jeb or Rubio. Probably not, but he was one of the first.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2020, 04:02:46 PM

If Chris Christie dies, Trump can take some credit for destroying his reputation, his career, and ultimately his life.

Christie started doing that himself - remember Bridgegate?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2020, 04:23:19 PM
Christie started doing that himself - remember Bridgegate?

Worst of all was when he started hanging around in the owner's box of Jerry Jones and was supposedly a die hard Cowboys fan (from New Jersey). That was the beginning of the end of Chris Christie.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Christie had a lot of worst moments.  The other big one was when he ordered public beaches closed over some petty budget dispute and then Christie and his family used the opportunity to enjoy an uncrowded beach for themselves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

at first, you had a 50-50 chance of surviving it, now, I think the odds are closer to 70% in your favor.
But it's bad, yeah.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/oct/08/uk-coronavirus-live-delaying-new-covid-restrictions-pubs-risk-of-party-weekend-boris-johnson?page=with:block-5f7ee8c58f0867830a8dd866#block-5f7ee8c58f0867830a8dd866

QuoteHospitals 10 days away from 'critical' stage because of rising Covid admissions, health minister says

Nadine Dorries, the health minister, has said that hospital admissions are just 10 days away from reaching a "critical" stage because of rising coronavirus case numbers.

QuoteNadine Dorries 🇬🇧#StayAlert
@NadineDorries
Those who now claim that further measures are not needed, will in about ten days from now, when hospital admissions are at a critical stage argue that we didn't do enough. We must do all we can to prevent our ICUs #NHS from becoming overwhelmed #COVID19
10:05 AM · Oct 8, 2020

Yesterday Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, which represents hospitals and other NHS trusts, said some hospitals in the north if England were now seeing admission levels equivalent to those in the spring, when the epidemic was at its peak.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I think that might be rhetoric because they are starting to face revolts within the Tory party over this. I think the bigger issue that's actually driving annoyance isn't the measures but that they don't seem clear or coherent. So we don't know what the trigger is for local lockdown (and it seems to not apply to wealthier areas), we don't have the clear approach like Sweden or clear(ish) approach like Ireland where level x means these measures that have already been communicated and then if we go to level y it means these measures. In Ireland there has been criticism because the scientists recommend which level of lockdown they should go into and the government normally doesn't do it, or says we'll go into this level but with lots of loopholes and exceptions.

But at least even there there's a framework that people can understand. This seems like the Wizard of Oz where we're never allowed to see the workings and don't really know what the sliding scale of lockdown measures mean. It's ridiculous that we're in this state when they've had six months to think about the possibility of a second wave/additional measures :bleeding:

Although nationally the healthcare figures are not anywhere near the peak:
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare
So I wonder why we're not looking at using spare capacity in other hospitals (sort of like the French did, TGVing patients from the East to the West). If it's nearly at the peak in the North but not in the Midlands or South, why don't we move patients to where they can be treated? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Yeah, I wondered to if it was rhetoric as it appeared to be coming from left field.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Vienna has cracked the 5k mark of active cases, or about 2.5% of the population. Total number in Austria is 9.9k, or about 1.1%.

500 persons are hospitalized, 100 in ICU.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

England's new 3-tier restriction system will start from Wednesday, except the strictest tier has not been defined yet, they'll come back to that later.