Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I thought this thread was about college football...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

Interesting way to show the likelihood you meet someone with the virus.

Sheilbh

Incidentally PHE have now changed their ways of counting deaths - this now aligns it with most of Europe and Scotland - in only counting as a covid deaths people who die within four weeks of a positive test. The change this makes to the figures is quite large in the decline phase and now brings the decline in line with the ONS figres (actual death certificates):

But the upshot is this now looks similar to the ONS, Scotland and other countries which is, I think, what you'd expect.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Germany currently seems to lack an effective bureaucracy to handle the test results of returnees from risk areas, which allows the virus to spread again here from widespread, non-localized community transmission. Not looking good as it is likely to get worse in fall.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on August 12, 2020, 12:22:46 PM

Interesting way to show the likelihood you meet someone with the virus.
This probably overestimates it somewhat.  It seems like they're assuming a gathering of people is a random sample drawn from the population, but I would think that a wedding would not be a random sample of people.  The random sample would be the worst possible case for what they're showing here.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2020, 01:22:52 PM

This probably overestimates it somewhat.  It seems like they're assuming a gathering of people is a random sample drawn from the population, but I would think that a wedding would not be a random sample of people.  The random sample would be the worst possible case for what they're showing here.

Overestimates the likelihood? I'd say it's the other way around. The most likely people to be infected are the ones that are in fact attending events instead of distancing.

celedhring

Over here Galicia banned smoking outdoors (it's been banned indoors since the 1990s), and there's rumors other regions will follow suit. The rationale is that people puffing smoke spread the virus farther than regular breathing which becomes an issue particularly in bars with outside seating (a perennial fixture of the Spanish landscape). Has this been done anywhere else?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2020, 06:37:11 AM
Over here Galicia banned smoking outdoors (it's been banned indoors since the 1990s), and there's rumors other regions will follow suit. The rationale is that people puffing smoke spread the virus farther than regular breathing which becomes an issue particularly in bars with outside seating (a perennial fixture of the Spanish landscape). Has this been done anywhere else?

For the record, it's not a blanket ban, but just when social distancing can't be kept. The important scenario is outdoor seating in bars and restaurants, though.

The Larch

So, the outdoors smoking ban is going national, as the government has just announced a new batch of measures to curtail the growing number of cases in Spain which includes it, together with the nationwide announcement of a hard 1 AM deadline for nightclub closures.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2020, 07:46:27 AM
So, the outdoors smoking ban is going national, as the government has just announced a new batch of measures to curtail the growing number of cases in Spain which includes it, together with the nationwide announcement of a hard 1 AM deadline for nightclub closures.

I love how this is considered "early" around here  :lol:

Valmy

I have been to Spain, you people stay up all night.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."