And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan's fashion rebellion goes West

Started by Weatherman, July 06, 2009, 10:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Faeelin on July 07, 2009, 08:18:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2009, 08:13:13 AM
Westerners imitating the Japanese culture?

So what?  That has been going on for decades around here.

I sent this article to a friend who's in Japan. What's really sad is that they're imitating a fashion that's years out of date.

:yes: been outta date since before I first went there in 02. more of a 90's thing... still a few oddballs doing it though.
:p

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2009, 09:50:00 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2009, 06:46:53 AM
Poor Siegebreaker wishes he had been born white.

Not really. I'm white skinned but I am not "white" as in white culture. To be that I couldn't be jewish, or more importantly, sefaradi. I definitively prefer to be sefaradi than WASP by a long, looong way.

What I do wish is I could speak english with a native accent, like my wife does.
Sure you can say that, but we all know it's sour grapes.  Why would anyone want to be part of an uncivilized, backwards people when they could be part of a civilized people?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2009, 05:37:51 PM
Japan is weird.
To some degree.  On the other hand, at least nobody there pays any attention to kosher.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2009, 02:10:00 PM
Kosher is a sign of civilization.
Not in the least.  Civilized Jews pay no attention to kosher rules, seeing them (rightly) as backwards edicts passed down back when our brains weren't as connected up, and we all halucinated the existance of gods daily.

Crazy_Ivan80

we've got decent ways to store food now, and real medicine. No need for kosher or halal stuff anymore

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 05:45:48 PM
Not in the least.  Civilized Jews pay no attention to kosher rules, seeing them (rightly) as backwards edicts passed down back when our brains weren't as connected up, and we all halucinated the existance of gods daily.

I didn't know you bought that bi-cameral mind theory.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2009, 01:57:49 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 05:45:48 PM

I didn't know you bought that bi-cameral mind theory.
I'm just insulting Siegebreaker's ridiculous faith.  Draw no conclusions from that.

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 09, 2009, 01:15:47 AM

we've got decent ways to store food now, and real medicine. No need for kosher or halal stuff anymore
Indeed. Its the kind of crap that makes me question even the nicest of muslims.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 08:03:19 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 09, 2009, 01:15:47 AM

Indeed. Its the kind of crap that makes me question even the nicest of muslims.

:huh: Why on earth would you care what a muslim eats?

I could see it being an issue if he was dining on your relatives, but 'not eating pig' seems a nothing of a nothing. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2009, 08:31:07 AM

Not eating stuff is not what does it.

It is their hatred of dogs that makes my blood boil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2009, 08:31:07 AM

I could see it being an issue if he was dining on your relatives, but 'not eating pig' seems a nothing of a nothing. 

What if you'd just made a lovely honey ham and then the wanker refused to eat it? I'd be hurt. :angry:

Also, I first read the "he was dining on your relatives" bit as some weird Canadian way of saying that he was at a dinner that your relatives were hosting. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2009, 02:48:16 PM

What if you'd just made a lovely honey ham and then the wanker refused to eat it? I'd be hurt. :angry:

Also, I first read the "he was dining on your relatives" bit as some weird Canadian way of saying that he was at a dinner that your relatives were hosting. :blush:

Well, in a manner of speaking ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius