News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan's fashion rebellion goes West

Started by Weatherman, July 06, 2009, 10:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2009, 08:31:07 AM
:huh: Why on earth would you care what a muslim eats?

I could see it being an issue if he was dining on your relatives, but 'not eating pig' seems a nothing of a nothing. 

Its not something I lie awake at night fretting about but it is stupid how they stick to it so strictly nonetheless. Often I find with irreligious muslims if there's one thing they stick to its the not eating pork. I just find it rather silly.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2009, 01:00:46 PM

Not eating stuff is not what does it.

It is their hatred of dogs that makes my blood boil.

You wish that they would eat dogs?  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 03:29:43 PM

I could see it being an issue if he was dining on your relatives, but 'not eating pig' seems a nothing of a nothing. 

Its not something I lie awake at night fretting about but it is stupid how they stick to it so strictly nonetheless. Often I find with irreligious muslims if there's one thing they stick to its the not eating pork. I just find it rather silly.

Why stupid? Most people in the West would not care to eat cats, dogs or horses, even though they are perfectly edible. Are they silly too?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2009, 03:42:16 PM
Why stupid? Most people in the West would not care to eat cats, dogs or horses, even though they are perfectly edible. Are they silly too?

No, after all it isn't customary for people in Northern England to eat those things so no one should.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I couldn't find a pic of the English Wiggam eating an Eel Pie.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 09, 2009, 07:10:48 PM
I thought the French eat horses.
And it's delicious, a really tasty meat :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 08:03:19 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 09, 2009, 01:15:47 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2009, 02:10:00 PM
Kosher is a sign of civilization.

we've got decent ways to store food now, and real medicine. No need for kosher or halal stuff anymore
Indeed. Its the kind of crap that makes me question even the nicest of muslims.

Not eating pork is the only thing I like about islam.  Pigs are as smart as dogs, I always feel a bit guilty eating them.  I just wish they weren't made out of bacon and pork chops.

Eddie Teach

Those animals are our friends.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

If everyone else ate them, it was the completely accepted thing to do so, the shops were filled with such products and it was difficult to avoid eating something containing some then yeah. (though a better analogy would probably be...pigeon?)
Especially if the bible said "Don't eat them" right in the midst of a passage about a lot of other things you shouldn't do; most of which you did just last night.

I dunno why you're making such a big deal of this.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2009, 03:40:55 PM

Where did you get that from?

It is forbidden in Islam to keep dogs as pets as it seems Angels cannot enter a house that has dogs in it.  They upset Allah or something.

Any religion that hates dogs so must be evil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2009, 05:52:13 AM
If everyone else ate them, it was the completely accepted thing to do so, the shops were filled with such products and it was difficult to avoid eating something containing some then yeah. (though a better analogy would probably be...pigeon?)
Especially if the bible said "Don't eat them" right in the midst of a passage about a lot of other things you shouldn't do; most of which you did just last night.

I dunno why you're making such a big deal of this.

I'm not. It seems though that you are.

I'm not the one proclaiming my distain for a goodly portion of the world's population based on their choice of entree.  :lol:

Seems to me that it is more or less an arbitrary cultural choice: some people like to eat one thing, and others another; if a Hindu dislikes eating beef, or a Jew or Muslim pork, what difference does it make? That it's not rational? Since when are food preferences rational?

As long as they aren't trying to force you not to eat what you want, that is. 

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2009, 07:56:21 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2009, 03:40:55 PM

Where did you get that from?

It is forbidden in Islam to keep dogs as pets as it seems Angels cannot enter a house that has dogs in it.  They upset Allah or something.

Any religion that hates dogs so must be evil.

Psst - I was making a joke.  :(

I've never heard of the dogs thing. Are you certain it's correct?

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
Often I find with irreligious muslims if there's one thing they stick to its the not eating pork.

You haven't met enough Bosnians.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2009, 08:41:52 AM
I've never heard of the dogs thing. Are you certain it's correct?

You have never heard of it?  Muslims, well mostly Arabs, dislike of Dogs is pretty famous.

Google 'Dogs Islam'

examples: http://www.islamicconcern.com/dogs.asp

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996015602&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE

Blah blah and so forth.

Dogs=bad but naturally Muslims now rush to say the Quran actually wants us to be nice to all animals.

Oh this is largely comes from Mohammed telling his followers to kill all the Dogs in Medina because the archangel Gabriel didn't like them.

And I largely think this is another one of those issues you get into where you hold one culture, 8th century Arabs, as eternally right and better than other cultures.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."