News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

He's basically a somewhat worse version of Ashcroft.  Which is bad but could have been even worse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

lots of people post their thoughts on trump's appointments

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 18, 2016, 01:58:03 PM
lots of people post their thoughts on trump's appointments

I think that's fine but seems like more interesting is impact that could have on nation, not whether it makes sense in Trumpland patronville.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2016, 01:37:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:34:20 PM
Sessions for AG :)

Don't know much about the guy - what about him makes you smile?

He likes to call teh blacks "boy."  Sessions does, too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2016, 01:57:02 PM
He's basically a somewhat worse version of Ashcroft.  Which is bad but could have been even worse.

Well, yeah.  David Duke was available.

LaCroix

it's interesting when it's likely to occur, sure, but some recent discussions seem to involve remote possibilities of what could occur, re: impact things could have on the nation

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2016, 01:58:51 PM
I think that's fine but seems like more interesting is impact that could have on nation, not whether it makes sense in Trumpland patronville.

What potential impact they could have is affected by Trump's mindset in selecting them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 18, 2016, 02:07:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2016, 01:58:51 PM

What potential impact they could have is affected by Trump's mindset in selecting them.

Seems like a sensible choice doesn't seem to get into that. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Flynn, Sessions, Pompeo - very clear signal that the surveillance state will be back with a vengeance and electronic privacy on the furthest of backburners.

Something that may be of interest to our international contingent.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

*shrug* I've grown used to the Drone of Damocles.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2016, 01:52:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:41:52 PMI liked him as a Senator.  Agreed with him on most issues.  And it's not for nothing that he will trigger several people here :P

What issues do you think will trigger people here? I mean, I've seen some stuff going around on Facebook re: civil rights and racism but I'm not sure how much of it is manufactured outrage and how much has substance... what's your take?

He's been one of the most conservative lawmakers since the 90s and a particular hawk on illegal immigration.  So it will be a smorgasbord of trigger items.  I'm sure the press is digging through speeches and interviews at a frantic pace.

Here's what NYT has so far:

QuoteWhile serving as a United States prosecutor in Alabama, Mr. Sessions was nominated in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan for a federal judgeship. But his nomination was rejected by the Republican-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee because of racially charged comments and actions. At that time, he was one of two judicial nominees whose selections were halted by the panel in nearly 50 years.

In testimony before the committee, former colleagues said that Mr. Sessions had referred to the N.A.A.C.P., the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and other civil rights groups as "un-American" and "Communist-inspired." An African-American federal prosecutor then, Thomas H. Figures, said Mr. Sessions had referred to him as "boy" and testified that Mr. Sessions said the Ku Klux Klan was fine "until I found out they smoked pot." Mr. Sessions dismissed that remark as a joke.

Mr. Sessions was also accused of speaking disparagingly of the Voting Rights Act and the stringent oversight it placed on Southern states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/politics/jeff-sessions-donald-trump-attorney-general.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2016, 02:08:24 PM
Flynn, Sessions, Pompeo - very clear signal that the surveillance state will be back with a vengeance and electronic privacy on the furthest of backburners.

I didn't expect anything positive about this from either candidate in this election. There seems to be mostly complacency about the topic in the American public, so administrations are unfettered in deepening the surveillance state.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
LaCroix: "A Bigger Asshole Than We Thought"
I actually agree with LaCroix.  Politically, it makes sense for Trump to give Bannon a top position in his cabinet.  Ethically, it doesn't really matter since Republican voters did not care much about this issue.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 02:12:23 PM
He's been one of the most conservative lawmakers since the 90s and a particular hawk on illegal immigration.

Well that is extremely bad for the Texas economy :hmm:

Ah well. It is not like Texas didn't put these people in office.

QuoteSo it will be a smorgasbord of trigger items.

Ok. But will he be good? I mean I know you care about shit beyond trolling LOLZ.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2016, 02:08:24 PM

Tor & Freenet will get an influx of developpers.  The UK has increased its surveillance of private citizens too.  Good times ahead for encryption companies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.