News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah you can be a racist and anti-semite all you want deep in your soul. What you do is what actually matters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

bannon knows trump's base arguably better than anyone. trump could either leave bannon behind and continuously ask for his advice, or he could invite him into his presidential circle. it makes sense he invited him because he'll need bannon. just because I disagree with bannon and recognize his faults doesn't mean trump was wrong with his choice

Grinning_Colossus

Are we talking ethically wrong or politically wrong?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on November 18, 2016, 12:45:35 PM
bannon knows trump's base arguably better than anyone. trump could either leave bannon behind and continuously ask for his advice, or he could invite him into his presidential circle. it makes sense he invited him because he'll need bannon. just because I disagree with bannon and recognize his faults doesn't mean trump was wrong with his choice

It's his choice but the choices you make have consequences.  Bringing Bannon into the circle in an official way carries the benefit to Trump of better access to political advice he finds useful but the cost is that undermines the message that he wants to unite the country and heal the divisiveness that he played a big role in exacerbating.  It's like extending the right hand while flipping the bird with the left.  If you make an appointment like that you shouldn't be surprised when people are a lot less inclined to extend good will and give you the benefit of the doubt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

depends how we define "ethically" and "politically"

trump's base won the election. unless trump wants to reject his base, which is unlikely because so many groups in the US hate him and will likely hate him no matter what he does. bannon gets trump's base, and he helped trump win, so it makes sense having him around

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2016, 12:54:45 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 18, 2016, 12:45:35 PM

It's his choice but the choices you make have consequences.  Bringing Bannon into the circle in an official way carries the benefit to Trump of better access to political advice he finds useful but the cost is that undermines the message that he wants to unite the country and heal the divisiveness that he played a big role in exacerbating.  It's like extending the right hand while flipping the bird with the left.  If you make an appointment like that you shouldn't be surprised when people are a lot less inclined to extend good will and give you the benefit of the doubt.

this assumes trump's actual goal is to unite the country. I don't think that's his goal

(edit) I guess it's possible trump might actually want to unite the country, re: possible romney SoS, but he should counter bannon with someone who has opposite beliefs, and we haven't seen that yet

CountDeMoney

LaCroix: "A Bigger Asshole Than We Thought"

LaCroix

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:34:20 PM
Sessions for AG :)

Don't know much about the guy - what about him makes you smile?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2016, 01:37:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:34:20 PM
Sessions for AG :)

Don't know much about the guy - what about him makes you smile?

I liked him as a Senator.  Agreed with him on most issues.  And it's not for nothing that he will trigger several people here :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:41:52 PMI liked him as a Senator.  Agreed with him on most issues.  And it's not for nothing that he will trigger several people here :P

What issues do you think will trigger people here? I mean, I've seen some stuff going around on Facebook re: civil rights and racism but I'm not sure how much of it is manufactured outrage and how much has substance... what's your take?

LaCroix

he's got experience and was an early supporter, so it makes sense

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 18, 2016, 01:52:43 PM
he's got experience and was an early supporter, so it makes sense

Why are you so big on talking about whether Trump's appointments make sense from his point of view? Who cares? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.